Losing a dog and trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jnbadger, Apr 18, 2018.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

I'm relieved that he went so peacefully yesterday at the vet, but I am am also surprised at how much it hurts and how much it is clouding my judgement. I had 2 nice trades this morning, and I am done for the day. (I normally do 10 - 20. I'm not a rapid fire trader) I was only in those trades because I was on autopilot, and i didn't have to think. (Perhaps another lesson learned?)

He was 15 and I had him for 13 of those years. He was picked up by animal control 13 years ago, and taken to the vet to be put to sleep. The doc refused to put him down because he was a beautiful pure bred black lab. The doc gave the dog his vaccinations and sent him to the local shelter. I happened to call that shelter a few days later asking what it would cost to board a hunting dog during the day if I ended up getting one. They said come on in. We just got a new lab you might want to take a look at. I threw the ball for him a few times and I took him home that day. 13 years of memories later, I had to have him put down because he was in so much pain.

I'm a mess. I've been on this site for a long time and I trust the community, and I know how to filter out the bullshit comments. Just letting things out, I guess.

(Edited)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    zdreg, samuel11, CSEtrader and 7 others like this.
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

Moderators, can you move this thread to Psychology? I'm dealing with other major shit in my life, and I think it's important to get this out in the open so others can learn from it.

CSEtrader likes this.
  3. I've had multiple dogs before in different eras or moments in my life, and I've never cried when they died or had to be put down.
    I'm still human, and somber after it...but it otherwise didn't really affect me, at all.

Pets is kind of like dating.
    They say the quickest way to get over an ex...is to get a new one. -- Start a New chapter, with new adventures and moments... don't dwell on the past.
    2018 ET, o_O

MarketEater and jnbadger like this.
  4. wartrace

wartrace

Sorry for your loss; it hurts to lose a good dog. Taking that last trip to the vet putting your feelings aside to do the right thing for your buddy is payment for all the great years of his friendship.

I have lost many dogs over the years and although I am used to it now it is never easy. Believe it or not I put down a 25 year old Beagle a year or two ago and it still got to me.

If I were in an emotional situation I would probably take a break from trading until I was back to my old self.

jnbadger and KevinD like this.
  5. You have my sincerest condolences. Whenever I've had to put any of my dogs or cats down, they died in my arms and I cried like a little kid each time. I found it best to feel the pain, and then know that I gave them a good home and much love. I'm sure you did the same. Perhaps we'll see them again. I hope so. Your grief will pass and turn into fond memories.

Innocie, Sprout, Max E. and 7 others like this.
  6. KevinD

KevinD

Yes, my condolences as well. Pets become a part of our families, non-pet owners don't understand the bond we develop with animals. Very sorry for your loss.

7. vanzandt

vanzandt

It would seem dogs come into our lives and teach us about unconditional love.
    But the risk of love is loss...
    ...and the price of loss is grief.
    Your grief will heal.
    And all those paw-prints on your heart...
    .....no one can ever steal.
    Take care my friend.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  8. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers
    —————————————

One of the greatest quotes I have ever read.
    Dogs truly are family members.
    I feel your pain brother. Sorry for your loss.

9. mlawson71

mlawson71

Losing a beloved pet is like losing a member of your family, the grief is very, very real.
    Two weeks ago we had to put to sleep our 18-year old cat and the first few days afterwards were just unbearably painful.
    I am so sorry you're going through this. The only thing that will dull the pain is time, you just have to go through the grieving process, there is no other way.

10. destriero

destriero

I had a Newfie for 15Y. I know how tough it is.

#10     Apr 19, 2018
    CSEtrader, mlawson71 and jnbadger like this.