Lord of war

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Pekelo, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Pekelo

I have just seen this. Very powerful. The opening 2 minutes is one of the best openings for a movie and sets the tone just right.

Cage is perfect for the role. I couldn't feel sorry for the wife, she was OK with "not knowing" what her husband was doing for a living. I had a hard time to determine the category of the film, it is listed as political drama, but there are plenty of humor, (black humor) in it.

Some interesting trivia:

According to Andrew Niccol, the filmmakers worked with actual gunrunners in the making of the film. The tanks lined up for sale were owned by a gunrunner who had to have them back to sell to another country. They used a real stockpile of over 3,000 AK-47s because it was cheaper than getting prop guns. The gunrunners were more cooperative and efficient than the studio or the crew.
    Yuri Orlov is a composite of five real arms dealers.
    No US studios would back the film. Foreign finances were secured instead.
    The tanks seen in the movie were real and belonged to a Czech arms-dealer.
    Before shooting the scene where tanks were lined up for sale, the filmmaker had to warn NATO, lest they think a real war was being started when they see satellite images of the set.
  2. Yes! I just recommended that one:

I'm what you could call a 'gun nut'. ( also: Archery nut, medieval weaponry nut, you get the picture.)

The opening sequence tracking a sole bullet from the factory, through various middlemen, into the hands of African militiamen, and finally straight into the head of a young boy... well it's brilliant, but at that point I feared the movie would be too anti-gun for me to enjoy it much. Nevertheless, political correctness didn't really get in the way of this film shining brightly.

So many cool touches, like the psychopathic son of a Liberian warlord with his gold plated machine gun and entourage of sluts... That's just classic. :D

It's a must see, unless you have too much 'heart' to tolerate a bad guy protagonist and so much casual murder. I don't have that problem. It's not my war...
  3. "Warlord"..........I wonder what theyd put on their passport application?
  4. Pekelo

I liked when the dictator corrected Cage's use of words (bloodbath-bath of blood, warlord-lord of war) and it made more sense the way how he used it...
  5. Ill have to see this film.

"Security consultant"? :D
  6. TGregg

By curious coincidence, I just now finished watching this movie, not 3 minutes ago. Not bad. Cage kinda looks like a freak and it takes some time to settle into seeing him as a relatively sane guy. But he did an outstanding job in this role, IMO.

Are AK-47s really that awesome? Seems hard to believe.

7. Yes, they're that reliable.

"At one stage of the work, one of the dozers uncovered the decomposed body of an enemy soldier, complete with AK-47. I happened to be standing right there, looking on with a number of my troops. I jumped down into the hole and pulled the AK out of the bog. "Watch this, guys," I said, "and I'll show you how a real infantry weapon works." I pulled the bolt back and fired thirty rounds -- the AK could have been cleaned that day rather than buried in glug for a year or so. That was the kind of weapon our soldiers needed, not the confidence-sapping M-16."