Looting in New Orleans..a new low for americans...and why we are minimizing the effec

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Well, today, as I write this, the situation is awful. It's terrible. This hurricane is the worst by several magnitudes, and it hits the largest city in one of (if not) the poorest state.

I've been to New Orleans, and the pictures I see now are just terrible. I think the federal delay is due to miscalculation regarding the flooding damage caused by the levy breach. It’s like the 1906 SF fire doing more damage than the earthquake that caused it.

Having said that, the “Opposition Party” media is using this as their next Cindy Sheehan. I expect future criticism about the Republican party advocating small federal government and greater state jurisdiction, when here we have a poor state wiped out by Katrina.

But Bush responds in good form by pleading to the Private Sector. Yes, the Private Sector can do quite a bit in times of need.

#191     Sep 1, 2005
  2. And quite a bit the private sector is already doing, they call it mutual sacrifice in times of need:

[​IMG]

#192     Sep 1, 2005
  3. death, destruction, rape and general misery for others

loserboy, you must be in hogheaven

#193     Sep 1, 2005
  4. You gonna tell me you are not scheming how to profit from this disaster as a trader?

That's the American way, isn't it? How to best profit from the misery of others?

#194     Sep 1, 2005
  5. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

The federal and state governments already said they would address the gouging of gas prices.

#195     Sep 2, 2005
  6. well duhhh this is called elite trade's not huggy feeling.com. Yes we care about the people who died and suffer but our jobs are traders. We have to think about the consequences of katrina and how we can profit from it. If you dont think about the consquences and how to profit, why are you here and what are you doing as a trader.
    ]

#196     Sep 2, 2005
  7. Mvic

Mvic

I was just watching the report onthe people in the hospital and the thousands stuck at the convention center. How long does it take to get people in there? I mean we can fly across country in 5 hours, those people have been there without food and water for 4 days! Babies, old and sick people, WTF?

The whole country should stop business as usual and take a week for everyone to help these people out and get then set up in a sustainable situation before we continue life as we know it.

This isn't some far flung place, this is happening right here in our beloved country. Those involved in ongoing operations on the ground are amazing but where is their support? Communications is severely lacking, why haven't the military gone in with a massive communications set up, Level 3 donating thousands of radios etc. The 40K troops should be there already, they could have driven there by now from around th country. It isn't time for the blame game yet but this is a freakin disgrace.

I usually can't watch Fox news but even Riley and Scarborough are beyond spin on this one and thoroughly dismayed at what is going on. Scarborough made the point that people were told not to just show up with trucks of supplies like they did in Florida as the agencies said they had it all under control, clearly that was bad advice. They don't have anything under control down there. NO is grabbing all the attention right now but there rae so many other areas that have been hit that are in the same situation, people with no home, no food , nothing for the last 4 days. Saw an old couple who said that they wished they had drowned in their home and hadn't eaten in 4 days.

Where are the air drops? What are they doing using resources patching up the levees when their are babies dying for lack of water, milk etc.

Donating to the red cross just seems so inadequate. Speaking of the Red Cross, where are they? I haven't seen any evidence that they are getting supplies to the people who need it? Why haven't they chartered chopper setc from around teh country and started air lifting in food and water to the people in teh convention center? Do i need to rent a Uhaul here in Boston load it up and drive down there, is that what it has come to?

#197     Sep 2, 2005
  8. Mvic

Mvic

Now they are saying the Astrodome is full, God help those still left in New Orleans. If you haven't prayed for anything for years, pray for these people.

God bless us all.

#198     Sep 2, 2005
  9. You won't have to. Thanks to the job the media has done raising awareness of the wretched conditions of the survivors, I predict the evacution will speed up, and humane living conditions will be restored for nearly everyone by this time tomorrow night.

#199     Sep 2, 2005
  10. Your joking, right? i dont recognise sarcasm sometimes.
    Reading some of the stuff out there, i initially thought it was insane.
    Reports of someone looting a pot plant, huh? Sneakers-whats someone gonna do with sneakers in the situation?
    Then it occured to me, the potplant may have been an impromptu toilet,and the footwear absolutely necessary to protect against submerged detrius, or to walk out of the joint when possible to do so, given their current footwear would be ratshit.
    Its easy to be judgemental.

#200     Sep 2, 2005