Loonietics

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Ivanovich, May 29, 2008.

1. It was a limit order. If I had said "Sell market", then it would be instant.

The order was filled later, around 9:30 this morning and as of now, the trade is looking good.

#31     Jun 5, 2008
  2. Amateur, you were 15 pips off the top of a 2c move :D

2 out of 2, nice risk:reward, maybe I need to look at trading longer term again!

From what you've said you seem to be a technical trader so how about news and data? For example today we've got NFP, how do you handle that? Ignore data? Move stops tighter? Exit before the data's released?

#32     Jun 5, 2008
  3. It's not 2 out of 2 yet :)

I do look at fundamentals, but in the short term, I ignore them. The NFP disaster this morning is an example of what I mean. No way to call those type of things.

So the first trade I did, I did with technical foundation and fundamental belief. The second trade is a counter-trade to that fundamental belief, and more of a technical trade to gain on pullback.

And it's looking like it's not going well at the moment! :(

#33     Jun 6, 2008
  4. Did you close it a couple of hours after that post, low was around 60? I was surprised there wasn't more of a spike down when that data came out, especially if you look at where Gbp, Eur, Jpy, Aud, and Chf went, Usd/Cad is almost flat by comparison!

#34     Jun 7, 2008
  5. No, I didn't close it. The move came within 4 or 5 pips from my profit, then spiked back up. I had moved the SL to break even over the weekend (though I forgot to make the post - you can decide whether to believe me or not, I suppose) so now I've stopped out at break even and I am flat.

Can't believe I missed it by that little...argh...

#35     Jun 9, 2008
  6. Wow, the low Bid was 49, boy was that close!

What's not to believe, I would be very surprised if you hadn't moved stop to b/e seeing as it was already so far in profit.

Will the market ever make up it's mind about dollar sentiment, it's like a tennis game back and forth between Bernanke and Trichet!

#36     Jun 9, 2008
  7. da-net

da-net

just a quick question...were you watching the trade unfold @ the time of the missed target?

btw....enjoying the thread!

#37     Jun 9, 2008
  8. No, if I were I'd have taken the profit. I normally don't quip over one or two points.

On another note, would anyone find it interesting if I open another thread like this on another pair?

#38     Jun 9, 2008
  9. cstfx

cstfx

I think this is one of the reasons many of the Oanda traders have been clamoring for a trailing stop to be added to the platform for a while now. At least you could have got some gain if they were in place, no?

#39     Jun 9, 2008
  10. Maybe. But if you distrust the way market makers hit stops, they'd just hit trailing ones that much more.

#40     Jun 9, 2008