Looks like Yahoo Download API is now Dead - 11/1/2017

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by hayman, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Simples

Simples

Stock quotes shouldn't be "IP" and the recent crackdown from NASDAQ exchanges/owners smacks of market manipulation and unfair cover-up of public information.

#21     Nov 2, 2017
  2. hayman

hayman

From Yahoo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Nixon

Administratin' 'Hoo

32m ago

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?
    Hi All - I'm blocking new replies to this thread since it refers to an older outage.

The new download issue which began 11/01/17 and returning an error 999 for most users is currently being investigated and we hope to have it resolved soon.

#22     Nov 2, 2017
  3. truetype

truetype

Call your Congressman! Call the SEC! Call the US Attorney! Demand an investigation!

#23     Nov 2, 2017
  4. IceT

IceT

-----
    @hayman - on the other hand admin = nixon keeps writing: "UPDATE: It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com Thank you. "

#24     Nov 2, 2017
  5. There is already a thread that I posted in that covers this subject. I haven't looked at trying to scrape intraday data from yahoo but I can tell you that it is possible to data scrape daily OHLC data directly from the HTML from yahoo. You will need to do a bit of work to harvest this data but it is possible.

#25     Nov 2, 2017
  6. truetype

truetype

You can also cut your lawn with a pair of scissors...

#26     Nov 2, 2017
    Indoril, SoesWasBetter and hayman like this.
  7. LOL, if the scissors are automated and can run themselves automatically then why not? Scissors have less of a carbon footprint too so it is good for the environment. Please continue to share your valuable knowledge here my friend.

#27     Nov 2, 2017
  8. hayman

hayman

I did see those posts, and I believe (and I might be wrong), that those users were directly using Yahoo! data on their websites, which is a breach of terms of service. Then again, the wording of "the service is being discontinued" is worrisome. Here's hoping that this Yahoo Admin just doesn't have a command of the English language.

#28     Nov 2, 2017
  9. hayman

hayman

I've scraped in my youth, and although a fun programming exercise, the problem is that when websites change format (and Yahoo does this often), your scrape code usually needs to change along with it. I gave up scraping a long time ago, because it just wasn't worth the maintenance headache.

#29     Nov 2, 2017
    jharmon likes this.
  10. hayman

hayman

Oh boy, I just tried to run a simple download query:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=xrx+vz+frp+bls&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv

and now I get the message,

"It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com."

#30     Nov 2, 2017