Looks like Yahoo Download API is now Dead - 11/1/2017

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by hayman, Nov 1, 2017.

1. hayman

hayman

Since Yahoo terminated their API back in the May/June time frame, I was still able to get web-based data to download into EXCEL from a query such as:

https://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=SPY+DIA&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv

The above web query would yield:

spy 257.15 10/31/2017 4:00pm 0.4 257.18 257.44 256.8 60304781
    dia 233.63 10/31/2017 4:00pm 0.3 233.64 233.91 233.2 1772047

Well, it seems that as of sometime today, this has become disabled as well. The above web-based query yields a:

"Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999."

So, assuming that this web service is dead in the water for good, can someone offer an alternative source (free or paid) that would yield the same, via a web-interface (or equivalent)?

Thanks in advance.

helpme_please and userque like this.
  2. I was wondering if something was wrong with my PC. Now, it is confirmed the problem lies with Yahoo server.

3. GiJoe500

GiJoe500

4. jharmon

jharmon

Demand a refund!

ET180 and Lou Friedman like this.
  5. hayman

hayman

I bet Verizon feels that way.

MoreLeverage and inCom like this.
  6. Haha. You're being unreasonable. The data was free to start with. However, what Yahoo did wrong was to pull the plug immediately. At least give some warning so that the customers can look for alternatives before this nasty surprise. Now, everyone is left vulnerable and fighting in the dark against the market. bad bad Yahoo.

hayman likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

You get what you paid for.

ET180 and jharmon like this.
  8. I agree but for goodwill reasons even to non-paying customers, don't pull the rug under our feet without warning. Nobody likes that.

9. Overnight

Overnight

Seriously? I'll repeat it. You get what you paid for. No business is "in it for the feel-good goodwill of the thing." If they were, they'd be called a non-profit charity, which is also in the business of making money.

10. truetype

truetype

This is a blessing in disguise. Retail traders who rely on "free" Yahoo data are typically undercapitalized (else they'd subscribe to a real datafeed) and if this discontinuation keeps them out of the market, they'll be the richer for it in the long run.

#10     Nov 1, 2017
    ET180 and jharmon like this.