Looks like Think or Swim got options on futures!

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by traderjb, Mar 31, 2008.

1. So I was on the Think Or Swim platform trying to scratch a nickel or two when I saw quotes for options on eMinis. I wasn't able to trade them, but was surprised none the less. Any word if we'll be able to trade these things?:D

2. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Awesome news - thanks for the heads-up!

3. I think you will be able to trade options on futures in two weeks.

4. opt789

opt789

According to the release notes "Please note that trading options on futures will not begin for approximately another two weeks," the key word being approximately. They still have to works out some bugs, cost details, and margin. Two weeks from today is the start of April expiration week and they don't make changes then, so I am hoping before the end of the month everything will be done.

5. Do you know if the mechanics of having a stock equity account, a futures/futures options account and a forex account will be the same as IB? In other words, will "unused" performance bond[futures margin] be swept into the stock equity side? Does TOS pay interest on cash balances like IB? Is the interest rate comparable to IB? If TOS becomes a formidable competitor of IB's, then I would definitely look to opening a combined account with TOS. The commissions are a little higher, but it is worth the peace of mind.

6. opt789

opt789

Well JW, that’s a lot of questions, I'll see if I can help.
    I don't have a forex account there but with a futures account with TOS your money gets moved back and forth to a Penson GHCO account. The problem is they have an arcane way of moving unused money back to your securities account, which is where you need it to earn interest. Whenever I have a problem I just send and email and they move back any unused amount. As for rates and interest vs. IB I get better on both at TOS, but I trade, have money, and negotiated with them. IB and TOS are very different companies and I think always will be, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Since a backup is always a good idea, I would tell people to consider having an account at both.