Looks like the UN feels we violated Osama's rights.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, May 6, 2011.

1. #21     May 8, 2011
  2. Ricter

Ricter

One difference is the months of BS salesmanship that went into Bush's invasion. So there is a big difference between scale, and time to organize [opposition], between the two interventions. Had Obama spent months trying to sell intervention in Libya, or a hit on OBL, things might have been different. Though I think for OBL there never would have been much objection.

#22     May 8, 2011
  3. Well, I don't know if I qualify as "on the right" or not. However, I do condemn the lack of due process with OBL. If we can give Saddam, and even Nazis due process we can damn sure give OBL due process. For many of us it offends our western virtues and waspy sense of dignity and decency not to do things the RIGHT way. That's called class, and it's a standard we've historically held ourselves to.

It was certainly within our realm of capabilities to capture him and bring him to trial, and kill him judicially. It would be a different story if we HAD to kill him, if he went down in a gun fight, or such but in this case we could have easily captured him and tried him, then killed him judicially. But, what did Obama do? Like an uncivilized African dictator he sent in a death squad and slaughtered everyone, then quickly dumped the body in the sea.

No I don't think the USA violated Obama's rights. I think Obama violated American standards of dignity, decency, class, and justice. His ethics are simply foreign to Westerners and America. We are not 3rd world Africans, we're not thuggish dictators who send in death squads after political enemies. We are westerners and we are Americans, and we have class, dignity, and good form. Obama denied that to all of us with his barbaric African death squad tactics.

Any yes, the hypocrisy on the left is a point I don't even have to articulate. It's so salient that there's little point. Of course they will simply ignore the point about hypocrisy since it doesn't serve their interests to acknowledge it.

#23     May 8, 2011
  4. kut2k2

kut2k2

[​IMG]

#24     May 8, 2011
  5. Yes, well, you aren't the first left winger who's perfectly fine with death squads and who doesn't want to bother with trials and that pesky "justice process".

#25     May 8, 2011
  6. kut2k2

kut2k2

I'm still waiting for you to show evidence that YOU condemned Bush's death sentence on Osama before Obama got him.

Put up or STFU, you pathetic little hypocrite.

#26     May 8, 2011
  7. I don't see that there ever was a "death sentence" by Bush. "Dead or alive" simply means that you can kill him if you can't capture him. It doesn't mean kill him if you feel like it, even when it's entirely unnecessary.

I DO know that Bush's political enemy (Saddam) got a full trial with high profile representation which would meet any western standard.

Oh and btw, if there's any hypocrite here, it's the left. I was one of the most harsh Bush critics out there in reality.

#27     May 8, 2011
  8. kut2k2

kut2k2

You're still comparing the captured leader of an invaded sovereign nation with a confessed mass murderer who killed over 3000 Americans as well as many foreign civilians in acts of blatant terrorism. Of course Saddam Hussein had a trial; Bush had a hard enough time justifying his war on Iraq in the first place.

Now show us where the American left condemned Bush's death sentence on OBL en mass -- not some isolated kook somewhere, but the left as a whole.

Everybody but YOU knows what "dead or alive" means: either is preferable, no need to explain why the wanted guy winds up dead. It's a de facto death sentence.

If Bush wanted to make a distinction, he would have said "OK, the reward is $25M if he's dead and $30M if he's captured alive." No such distinction was made; the reward was a flat $25M, dead or alive.

Still munching those sour grapes, I see.
    How very convenient for you to talk that shit when you have no record of posting here during Bush's term. Exactly what are we supposed to believe you were "harshly" critical of?

#28     May 8, 2011
  9. jem

jem

I guess you are not aware of the inquiries made by the UN. What do you consider investigations by human rights council investigators?

We already know the administration is pretending there was no video of the guts of the operation... do you wonder why?

#29     May 9, 2011
  10. Larson

Larson Guest

All the UN would need to do is interview one of the survivors. Oh wait, we don't even know if there were any. Seriously, why would anyone believe what these clowns say after the way this was handled.

#30     May 9, 2011