looks like IBKR looking to acquire Tradestation

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by billyjoerob, Nov 10, 2010.

1. This could be big trouble for companies like ESig and Ninja, even Shwab. IB's achilles heel has always been charting. If they integrated a seamless charting package into TWS, there would be little reason to use any thrid party charting app or have redundant accounts with brokers like Schwab to take advantage of the charting.

#11     Nov 11, 2010
  2. lindq

lindq

If IB integrated rules-based portfolio tracking, trading and backtesting, it would be huge. With their resources I'm surprised they haven't done it by now.

#12     Nov 11, 2010
  3. LeeD

LeeD

Currently, IB don't "officially" support autotrading. They always assume the trader should be in front of the trading screen whenever an order is sent.

Giving a backtesting platform without automatic execution would be a half-step in the wrong direction.

#13     Nov 11, 2010
  4. LOL....so true!

Junk TWS married to crap TS feeds......PERFECT MARRIAGE! :eek:

Multicharts get the WIN if this plays out imo! :)

#14     Nov 11, 2010
  5. I have to disagree. For retail traders, commodity exchange fees are a big monthly expense. Somehow or other, IB avoids them. Put the TS chart app with the IB feed and you have a huge winner.

I realize it won't satisfy everybody, but it would make it very hard to justify paying for ESig or any other third party charting app that required exchange fees. You can do it now with Ninja, but I am not in a position to judge how satisfactory that is.

I always thought IB missed a golden opportunity when they let ESig buy QCharts. Maybe they are planning on rectifying t.

#15     Nov 11, 2010
  6. LeeD

LeeD

The valuable part is years of historical data.

#16     Nov 11, 2010
  7. zuo123

zuo123

At the time of the filing, Peterffy did not have any "present plans or proposals which would relate to or would result in any transaction, event or action ... [but] the Reporting Persons will continue to analyze their investment in the company on an ongoing basis."

#17     Nov 11, 2010
  8. What is to say that their historical data is much cleaner than their live data?

#18     Nov 11, 2010
  9. I have been using ts for about a year now. While i have only sampled some other platforms, there really hasnt been any that ive tried that had charting as well. ( for futures). The fees are obviousky too high with ts, so i tried to move to another broker but life events brought me back to tradestation onlly beacause i really know my way around that platform and didnt have time to learn another one.

Simce i really dont know how i can compare, which service comes close to the charting and has more accurate tick datavat a cheaper rate. I tried ib and the charting is horrid!

I use minute charts only. Never tick charts.
    the minute charts are probably off during hiigh volitility, but who wouldnt be when so many trades occur every millisecond. (espeially on a news event)

I really want to make the switch mainky cuz of the fees

Perhaps i need some more guidance.

I trade all Futures markets. Currencies, commodities, index futures, etc....

#19     Nov 12, 2010
  10. Eight

Eight

Tradestation is the best charting, always has been, if IB integrated it I'd be over there in a quick minute... I'm writing dll's in Sierra Charts as it is, one could get Powerbasic and write a dll to call from EZLanguage and not have to wait for IB to decide what they are going to do...

#20     Nov 12, 2010