looking to work with other traders/coders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Jeffro72, Sep 15, 2017.

1. userque

userque

What interface are you using? (console, browser, gui, etc.?)

#11     Sep 16, 2017
  2. Jeffro72

Jeffro72

I'm building/testing my system in MS Excel, then testing custom indicators in Thinkscript. I've used NinjaTrader in the past, but although I loved the interface, I couldn't mesh with the language. Eventually, I'll need to expand to another "professional" language to complete what I am doing.

#12     Sep 16, 2017
  3. Jeffro72

Jeffro72

@fan27: that sounds interesting. I'd love to learn more.

#13     Sep 16, 2017
  4. userque

userque

Have you considered also coding your custom indicators in Excel/VBA?

#14     Sep 16, 2017
  5. Jeffro72

Jeffro72

Yes, I have. I've got some old experience with that. Might need something with more horsepower, but it's not off the table.

#15     Sep 16, 2017
  6. toucan

toucan

Jeff... do you have a systematic trading process that you are trying to automate and what is it that you are currently trading.... stocks, futures, etc

thanks in advance

toucan

#16     Sep 18, 2017
  7. Sprout

Sprout

Anybody working with node.js or python?

#17     Sep 18, 2017
  8. Jeffro72

Jeffro72

Trading futures for now due to leverage. I do have a system I am trying to automate. Currently researching different methods and platforms for doing this.

#18     Sep 18, 2017
  9. ironchef

ironchef

I use Excel/VBA to do my analytical work including some backtesting but not for trading. I find VBA limiting as I still don't know how to find functions that I needed, often had to go back and forth between VBA and Excel to get the functions and then VBA the do loops, logic....

Do you have any suggestion where I can get some help?

Thanks.

#19     Sep 18, 2017
  10. userque

userque

Not sure I totally understand what you mean by "going back and forth," but ...

All functions available to the worksheet are also available to VBA. VBA also may have it's own, more efficient versions of worksheet functions. If you are looking for a website listing these functions, let me know.

The sheet and code should work as one. For simple example, the sheet--giving the latest data--should be able to simply spit out one thing--the next forecast. The code should "simply" loop the sheet through history, logging what the past forecasts would have been.

I've been doing this sort of thing (prototyping trading algos--not full trading automation, just automated signal generation) for a while now with Excel VBA. I started coding in general (we used to call it programming :) ) at age 11. (I don't care about building mobile apps or websites, but I'm pretty good at what I do care about--trading signal algos.) Maybe start some sort of Excel VBA thread and reply with the link? I'll help whenever I have the knowledge and time.

#20     Sep 19, 2017
    ironchef likes this.