Looking to trade off a Laptop while traveling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlybirdstango, Apr 4, 2009.

1. dhpar

dhpar

bullshit. there are good advices and there are bad advices. this "elite" board is full of the later.

I have never met anybody carrying 5-10kg of trading equipment while backpacking (and I did that for a long time). Your suggestion weights at least 25kg - you must be joking.

I second JamesJ motion here - it is very difficult to daytrade - you have to extend your holding horizon with aggressive use of stops - this make your NPV volatile and your travelling potentially less pleasant...

lastly, to quote you: "If you have a point to contribute to the OP. Great!" If you don't then.....

#41     Apr 6, 2009
  2. dhpar

dhpar

#42     Apr 6, 2009
  3. You made it sounds like we are morons who don't know what backpacking means.

Good advice, bad advice... it depends on how the poster asks a question.

You look back at the very first post. It only mentioned "travelling". "Travelling" to many who live in the USA leads to thinking "airport, rental car, hotel, big luggage". So what's wrong with bringing an extra LCD monitor? I travel to many US cities with my 2 laptops and 2 LCD monitors. And I do heavy tradings in the hotel room. Thus I gave the advices from my experience. I have no problem whether the poster takes it or ignores it.

It wasn't until later that the poster said "oh, I am going to Europe".

Then it wasn't until even later that he said "oh, I am backpacking".

Maybe later he will say "oh, I am climbing the Alps".

You had the benefit of coming in at a later time, having additional information about the situation, and you made your advice. Fine. Then you blasted all other advices are rubbish. That is not fine.

And only you have done SERIOUS trading while traveling. Yeah, right.

Learn how to be a bit modest and considerate. It will help you to become a more decent human being. Unless, of course, you have no interest to be one.

#43     Apr 6, 2009
  4. Midas

Midas

Great thread,

I am looking to do the same thing. Does anyone have any feedback using a high speed global wireless network like Verizon Global Express.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/GlobalAccess/index.html

Or any other major provider with global plans for that matter.

Most daytrading will have to wait until I get home but I work in in and out of many spreads or "pairs" on a swing trade time frame and hate to clear all positions to take a few weeks off.

#44     Apr 6, 2009
  5. #45     Apr 6, 2009
  6. i trade while traveling for a long time... Been 2 years since living outside NY already, before that 3-4 years.
    Heres some suggestions.

2nd LCD monitor
    1) I do have a dual monitor, its 15 inches , I unscrewed the bottom stand, so its just one big screen, I use to use it a lot, will probably use it again as a #2nd monitor, but I started trading futures, only need 1 screen strangely.

* 8 lbs , I would forego this if if I'm trading futures, but for heavy trading such as 50+ conracts, I better have it for my order screen.

15 inch laptop (best optimal size) , under 5 lbs.
    2) Any laptop is fine, I have a $500 HP laptop.

Ultraportable/Netbook laptop , under 3lbs
    3) this is a backup laptop in case your first one fails, I have a old fujitsu P2110 , Its 2.8 lbs with a 10 inch lcd screen

4) Roller Suitcase , If you are carrying this on your back with a jansport bookbag LOL , Forgo the #2nd lcd, or the backup laptop .
    I ain't climbing no alps, and if I did, the gear would stay in the hotel.

5) Clothes,
    I bring a set of 2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts max, 2 socks.
    You will most likely be washing them all by hand yourself. Once you start doing that, you won't be changing your clothes every single day :)

Big jackets can be bought anywhere, so best to bring clothes in layers as in ,
    Buy a windbreaker + a hoodie.
    Cold? Wear your windbreaker
    Really cold? Wear your hoodie + your windbreaker.

Don't bring a northface bubble jacket, unless you plan on living in russia for a long time.

6) Medicine,
    diarehaa pills , tylenol for cold, condoms, etc.

7) LUGGAGE.
    Very important, It should be a roller luggage, Can't stress this enough , lugging around with a 25 lb bag is just plain stressful and tiring. Rolling it around is a lot better.

8) Setup with a VPS provider for Remote Desktop Connection, (virtual provider service) its a Virtual windows 2003 server.

a) Make sure its windows 2003 , for audio alerts.
    b) find hosts @ webhostingtalk dot com
    c) Ping the hosts first
    d) hosts should be around $15-25 a month

All you do is install your trading applications on the box, then you remote in from anywhere around the world. I *must* do this, because trading applications such as quote boxes, will NOT work with slow ping responses, they must be fast to even retrieve quotes.

You may trade from a netcafe if you have this setup. Just remote in and you are on in an instant.

8) Belt wallet, Find a wallet that you keep inside your pants, and fixed to your belt( VERY IMPORTANT)

You zip up your passports and id cards in this belt wallet, you'll probably be pickpockted, but this way theres no way you are going to be pickpockted

9) Bring a big stick (retracablt baton) if possible.
    Guy carrying a suitcase, might get mugged in remote locations. Seriously.

-------------------

Super-Minimalistic Traveling.

Keep it under 10lbs if you are really going to the wild, Heres what I bring as a minimalmistic.

a) One 15 LCD inch laptop , Under 5lbs. Extra capacity battery 6cell +
    15 inch = best optimal size.

b) 3 shirts (2 polos 1 long sleeve)
    + One hoodie
    + One Wind breaker
    + One gym shorts
    + One Sneaker
    (I wear shoes)
    (.5lbs)
    c) 1 Digital Camera + AC adapter
    music Mp3 player + AC adapter
    multi color Pen + Notebook
    (.5 lbs)
    d) inside belt wallet.
    e) baton inside suitcase when boarding planes, in jacket/pocket while outside.
    f) photocopies of id.
    g) 1 retractable Cat5 ethernet cord.
    i) International Electric Input convertered adapter
    Allows you to plug all prongs in.
    k) ROLLER SUIT CASE / Dufflebag

13 lbs total.

+8 lbs for #2nd lcd screen (optional)
    + 3 lbs for #2nd laptop (optional)

Your laptop is not as important becaue most of the times you'll be REmoteDesktopConnection into your server to trade. But having your laptop's HD break down is important, so your #2nd laptop comes in handy.

Good traveling :) I usually live in places for 2-3 months, then move on , new girlfriends, then move on. Currently I'm at a place for over 1 year now, So Less traveling, but often go for visa runs , in and out of borders.

I Scalp trade the ES/ OIL /YM / futures , my position only lasts around 3-5 minutes each trade.
    1-2 trades per day.

The only problem is waking up for trading hours during diff time zones, Thats the hardest part. These days I have someone to look with me at the market.

#46     Apr 6, 2009
  7. Ezzy

Ezzy

#47     Apr 8, 2009
  8. #48     Apr 9, 2009
  9. moo

moo

Just make it fit! Carrying a 5-kilo laptop around is extremely stupid.

All I need is a mini-laptop. Just perfect with a 10" screen and a durable battery!
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-100h.aspx

#49     Apr 9, 2009
  10. Some people need more than one screen with 1024x768 resolution.

The MacBook Pro is only 6.6lbs btw.

#50     Apr 11, 2009