Looking to trade off a Laptop while traveling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlybirdstango, Apr 4, 2009.

1. this machine needs heavy customization to get it worth wile, also the screen is (1440x900)

I dont want to buy anything too expensive just in case it does get stolen. Ultimately anyone who knows laptops would take the new Apple laptops hands down but they are $3000. If it gets swiped, all those extra gizmos go to waste.

#31     Apr 5, 2009
  2. dhpar

dhpar

this is the only post that OP should consider. all the rest is rubbish - likely from people that never seriously traded while travelling (off the beaten track).

the most important things are:

1. hardware flexibility (IBM/Lenovo cuts it)
    2. Windows OS (at least on 1 partition)
    3. max 15' screen (14' is Ok)
    4. maxed up RAM + (2x)2.4Ghz+ CPU equivalent
    5. good video card. this always helps as it softens up the load on CPU... (not necessary though)
    6. durability/weight compromise - this is up to you.
    7. if you hate touchpads go for a small wireless mouse...:)

I used T series variations with full slots of RAM and can only recommend it (p designation which stands for professional is the best). If you have good eyes go for X series - it is smaller and much lighter.
    Smartphone as a back up is a "smart" idea too - go for some worldwide sim card to makes your travels cheaper. IB interface over smartphone now works quite ok - at least for disaster situations like setting protective LMT/STPLMT orders etc.

one last thing - before you set off make sure you understand what is your priority, i.e. is it trading or travelling? it is not difficult to see that you can't do both 100% - and you should change your trading positions/rules/etc accordingly!

#32     Apr 5, 2009
  3. this i dont get. I cant fit all three of my screens on anything smaller than a 17 inch.

whats the significance of having 15 or less

#33     Apr 5, 2009
  4. Am also researching a new laptop now for the possibility of hitting the road at some point. Here are my considerations:

1) The quality of the components used from brand to brand varies immensely. A few manufacturers offer 'Home' lines with lower quality components to keep the cost down (avoid them) and 'Professional/Business' lines. The Business lines like Toshiba's Tecra line [http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/tecra] are made with higher quality components, offer better reliability and can handle the occasional shocks or bumps while traveling.

2) Biggest screen possible with anti-glare.

3) Spend for the best RAM, video card, wi-fi card and cooling system.

4) XP Pro over Vista to be on the safe side.

#34     Apr 5, 2009
  5. I am looking at these Toshibas and I Cant find a single one whos resolution is more than 1440x900.

From what I read 1920X1200 is the ONLY WAY to go, doesnt that make sense if im trying to cram as much as i can into a screen?

#35     Apr 5, 2009
  6. dhpar

dhpar

i think you will get it when climbing matterhorn or similar.
    of course if you are going to travel only by car/van/truck/boat you can easily go for something bigger. but i thought you mentioned backpacking...

#36     Apr 5, 2009
  7. I don't know why you said that.

I don't know why people say that.

It is always like saying "My way or the highway".

Position trading is the only way to make money. Day trading is shit.

Christianity is the only true religion. Any other religion is fake.

You are, Sir or Madam, the only person who had ever seriously traded while "travelling". All others only pretend they know how to trade.

If you have a point to contribute to the OP. Great! Make it! But you just have to make yourself feel superior by trashing others.

#37     Apr 5, 2009
  8. JamesJ

JamesJ

i can tell you by experience, it doesn't work...

been travelling for like 8 months.. and tried to trade from time to time, it just does NOT work.. you're not as concentrated as you should be, you don't have the feeling for the market, you get distracted..

however next time i travel i probably stay a long time at some place (maybe couple of weeks enjoying the sea and surf)... so i will be looking for a flat there and probably try to rent some equipment.. (at least a large monitor to go along with the laptop)

#38     Apr 5, 2009
  9. New MacBook Pro 17" is the only way to go. 6.6 lbs, 1920x1200, "Spaces" software for additional screens, durable as hell.

VM Fusion seems to work well for Windows based programs.

#39     Apr 5, 2009
  10. JamesJ what do you suggest? My ideal was basically backpacking thru Europe, staying a few weeks at a time in cities I take a liking to. My trading would either be in a hotel or at coffee shops, libraries, whatever keeps distractions away.

MY approach leans heavily to the morning, so the best case Id hit a goal in the morning and call it a day, and maybe set stops in to check in on in a couple hours. If the market is very hot I would want to trade thru the whole day.

#40     Apr 6, 2009