looking to start trading futures

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jroger, May 16, 2011.

1. jroger

jroger

hey guys im looking to start trading futures and would like some input and advice. with experience trading stocks and options what should i expect? i understand margin requirements and leverage but what futures would be best suited for me? the es, silver, oil, copper, sugar?

Thanks! :D

2. Roark

Roark

You should expect to lose money. Start with YM so that you lose the money at a slower rate.

3. Start out with a nice non volatile conmtract like silver.

4. . :D . lol....why do you think its funny?

5. Stocks are infinately easier if you can find the leverage

6. Sim trade for a couple years.

7. Start with a "tamer" market such as the 10-year note. You're not equipped to deal with the more volatile markets.

8. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Describe your current strategy with equities and options, either here or in a PM to me. You always want to look for some kind of edge. You'll want to build on what you do best. Avoid trading a new asset class just because it's there.

9. jroger

jroger

thanks for the replies, i trade intraday and hold options over night on some patterns or longer trends.

For futures i was thinking to take advantage of the leverage on intraday trends i feel confident in and maybe using futures options to hold longer.

10. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I'm not going to comment on your current trading. If your strategy is working for you, I'd look to do the same with other asset classes. Do a little back testing to see how to adjust your strategy, then start very small with real trading and go through your learning curve.

Good luck,

#10     May 17, 2011