Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. tortoise

tortoise

Yes I was there eight months ago for the first time in 20 years.

Look, I mean no disrespect but the trajectory of the krone over the past 10 years speaks volumes about the problems facing the Swedish economy. It’s also taken on a huge financial burden with its migrant policy.

Setting all that aside, it’s also terrifyingly expensive. Not in rural Smoland, perhaps. But in Stockholm, Gothenberg, I find the housing prices surreal, especially when one considers how peripheral they are in the global economy.

For that money, I’ll take London or Switzerland.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    #291     Dec 21, 2017
  2. Sprout

Sprout

The convergence of war on drugs, Nafta and cheap big-ag corn - destroyed biogenetic diversity and livihoods that depended on it.

#292     Dec 21, 2017
    d08 likes this.
  3. Sig

Sig

It is expensive, for sure. However a lot of what you pay for in the U.S. is part of that expense, so it's not as bad as you'd first think. It is a hard place to get rich but an easy place to have a high quality of life, so it may well be a poor fit for our self-selected group here on ET. That said, the krone was 9/$ when I was there in 2009, and 8/$ when I was there this summer, so while the krone/$ exchange rate isn't exactly the best indicator of a country's economy, even if it was that would indicate the economy is stronger now than a decade ago. The Swedish economy is big enough that migrant's aren't actually coming anywhere close to tanking it, again that's a Breitbart/Swedish Democrats meme that doesn't comport with the actual numbers. I'd agree with Pekelo that the dark sucks, having lived in Alaska as well I'm not fond of that. And if you don't like cold it's not for you.

#293     Dec 21, 2017
  4. Just a thought on this thread, but why would someone try to correct or inform the reactionary Americans who are xenophobic, uncultured, and ignorant?

I mean, do you want to change their opinions so they move nearer you?

Leave them to live in the hate belt. Enjoy the rest of the world and the rest of America (which is downright charming).

#294     Dec 21, 2017
  5. d08

d08

Americans I've encountered in Europe are fairly content and don't feel mistreated in any way. Then again, these are intelligent guys with interesting personalities. If you're insecure and sensitive about your country, don't bother going.

#295     Dec 22, 2017
  6. Sig

Sig

Point taken!

#296     Dec 22, 2017
  7. tortoise

tortoise

I think information is good. I have no idea who is “xenophobic, uncultured, and ignorant” on this thread, but I like to assume the best about everyone and proceed on that basis.

#297     Dec 22, 2017
  8. Taken where?

#298     Dec 22, 2017
  9. We reading the same thread? :)

I like to assume the best too, but my assumptions are fragile and shatter with evidence to the contrary.

#299     Dec 22, 2017
  10. tortoise

tortoise

Well in that case those of us who are open to learning benefit from hearing the voices of reason.

#300     Dec 22, 2017