Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. volpri

volpri

I'm not trolling. YOU are the one that stirred the pot up. ROFLMAO. Anyway .... conversation is a waste of time because no progressive is gonna give a hoot anyway...

You have a good Christmas, you hear.

#281     Dec 21, 2017
  2. Overnight

Overnight

@tortoise Hey, what about some of the Scandinavian countries? Spent some time in Norway 20 years ago (on the western coast). Times have changed since then, but cannot be too bad now.

I am thinking Norway, Sweden or Denmark near the major transport hubs to meet your airport requirements. They have the weather and all the other stuff. Yes?

#282     Dec 21, 2017
  3. tortoise

tortoise

Taxes are really high in the Scandavian countries. And Sweden, where I have relatives, is busily self-destructing.

#283     Dec 21, 2017
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Don't they have free health-care over there? So the higher taxes offset the health-care expense?

#284     Dec 21, 2017
  5. Sig

Sig

If that's self destruction I'd like some more self destruction! Spent a good part of the summer there this summer, not sure what you're talking about?

#285     Dec 21, 2017
    d08 likes this.
  6. tortoise

tortoise

Not even close.

#286     Dec 21, 2017
    d08 likes this.
  7. tortoise

tortoise

I gather you weren’t in Malmö.

#287     Dec 21, 2017
  8. Sig

Sig

So first off, Sweden most certainly has universal health care with a SEK 200 (appx $25 USD) co-pay which is funded by taxes. So yes higher taxes offset your healthcare expense. And while I'm sure you can pull up horror stories about having to wait for a surgery, we can come up with 100 identical stories with people on U.S. health insurance so it is an apples to apples comparison.

Second, the false narrative about Malmö turning into some kind of Muslim hell-hole is exactly that, false by any measure. For example, the murder rate in Malmö, which is the worst in any Nordic city, was 3.4 per 100,000 residents. That's lower than THE ENTIRE US murder rate of 4.9 per 100,000 residents, and lower than the vast majority of U.S. cities. And crime rates in Malmö are little changed from years past. I'd recommend you read this article by National Review (a right leaning publication, just to be clear) in order to see how you've been led astray by the infowars/breitbart/fox crowd (http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...e-rates-statistics-immigration-trump-fox-news) It's also worth noting that the Swedish Democrats are pushing this crime wave narrative for political points as well, and I'd guess what you're hearing from your relatives is colored by this.

Regardless, Sweden is by no means "self destructing" by any stretch of the imagination. A little less hyperbole and a few more facts along with an open mind are always good. And yes, I did spend time in Malmö and found it to be an imminently safe, nice place that I'd have no qualms about moving to with my family. I gather you haven't been to Malmö?

#288     Dec 21, 2017
    d08 likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Hehe. Well, you can have Boston and it's high taxes and pay for your health care out of your pocket, and have the high-crime rates etc, or live in Sweden with the same stuff, but with less psycho-babble about the Red Sox and NE Patriots.

(I live in the same area. I know what you are on about in that sense.)

Just thinking of other options for you as per your guidelines.

#289     Dec 21, 2017
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Has anybody heard about WINTER in Sweden? Who the f.... I mean family wants that?

" July temperatures in Sweden average 13 to 17°C. February is usually Sweden's coldest month, with temperatures from - 22 to -3°C. In northern Sweden,winter temperatures often drop to -30°C, sometimes even lower."

Oh yeah, there is also something about the Sun not really coming up:

"Southern Sweden never has continuous daylight, though it averages 19 hours of daylight a day in midsummer. In winter, Sweden has similar periods of continuous darkness.

That is 5 hours of daylight according to my calculator during winter months.

#290     Dec 21, 2017
    6wives and beerntrading like this.