Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

No, I dont live in Bulgaria.

#211     Dec 16, 2017
  2. luisHK

luisHK

Not sure where the bit about african immigrants comes from. Noticed some angolans there, but overall it looks like one of Europe large cities with the least africans, and Portugal from memory actually is the country in (western ?) Europe the least number of muslims per capita along Iceland. Wages are so low it is far from a magnet for economic migrants, and it's out of the way from Africa to Northern Europe. it's different when it comes to south Americans though. Very far from an expert, that's one of the countries in western Europe where I spent the least time.
    Little violent crime as well.
    If u mind the language there seems to be upmarket seaside resorts populated mostly with well off foreigners- and probably some cheaper resorts as well, considering french middle classes now go and retire in Portugal.
    I liked Lisbon very much,although large parts of it are worn out. Cost if living and crime are low, taxes are sweet by European standards and i don t mind the lingo so much. Among my top destination to move back to Europe.
    But you need to check other places in portugal as well, some prefer Porto (many Brazilian pilot families working in Asia seem to retire there for some reason) and others head to seaside resorts.
    In Auckland right now, can't advise it when it comes to time zone, not sure about the rest, except that I'm a little disappointed we didn't stop over in Sydney.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    #212     Dec 17, 2017
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sing me up too! Portugal also has a huge British expat population and I think they do speak some sort of English. Plenty of online forums too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/

Wiki:"British migration to Portugal has resulted in Portugal being home to one of the largest British-born populations outside of the United Kingdom. Migration from the UK to Portugal has increased rapidly since the late 1990s and the estimated population of British nationals in Portugal in 2006 was 49,000, including 11,000 living in Portugal for part of the year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_migration_to_Portugal

#213     Dec 17, 2017
  4. d08

d08

Looking at the numbers, some of the largest immigrant countries are Brazil, Angola, Guinea and Cape Verde - to the untrained eye they're all Africans. Ex-colonies have some migration preference I guess.
    I imagine the lowest Muslim numbers nowadays are in Eastern parts of EU, where I'm from you can live for years without seeing a single Muslim.

#214     Dec 17, 2017
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Indeed, Portugal has muslim numbers similar to eastern rather than western europen countries but still the least muslims are encountered in some eastern european countries. One doesn't find many arabs in Lisbon streets, probably even less outside Lisbon.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/11/29/5-facts-about-the-muslim-population-in-europe/

#215     Dec 17, 2017
  6. schweiz

schweiz

You can also have Bulgarian nationality within18 months (even for your children), no language requirements, no obligation of minimum stay in the country. Bulgaria evenb accpets double nationality. Cost you about 300,000 euro.Too expensive for 95% of ET posters. Free travelling in all Schengen countries, etc...

#216     Dec 17, 2017
    CALLumbus likes this.
  7. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Greetings schweiz !

Thanks for the additional info, have you lived in Bulgaria ? I read lots of good stuff about it, on paper it looks really like there is lots of advantages.

I would still prefer Monaco though... :)

#217     Dec 17, 2017
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

#218     Dec 17, 2017
  9. themickey

themickey

Let me guess the weather.
    Cloudy.
    Cloudy last week, and today, and tomorrow, and next week, and next month, and next year....

#219     Dec 17, 2017
  10. schweiz

schweiz

That's obvious, as there is no free money in these countries.

#220     Dec 17, 2017