Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Humpy

Humpy

Good choices with Portugal topping the list. It a language pain though.

#181     Dec 12, 2017
  2. d08

d08

It's not exactly a "baby duck inside" as it's far from fully developed but I get your point. I never eat that stuff myself. Naturally, it's from China originally.

#182     Dec 12, 2017
  3. luisHK

luisHK

Great Sydney, if there were no residence permit and tax issues to consider it would be in my top 3 choice. No gator nor fighting kangaroos neither too many insects.
    A guy managed to get bitten twice by a nasty spider though there in a single year, recently at that, the second time on his penis. Public toilets can be unfriendly.

#183     Dec 12, 2017
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Bonifacio Global City is great in the Philippines if one wants 1st world comfort. Would probably move there if i didn't feel it would soon get nasty with Mrs Luis. Cost is probably much higher than on Cebu.There are villas right next to BGC as well for those not too keen on the condos as well as the best international schools in Manila right in BGC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glo...54TYAhUJi7wKHW4qDqkQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=968

#184     Dec 12, 2017
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Similar experience here, moved lotsa times,often to destinations very distant from each other, and as a family it has become much harder. Kids don't seem to mind but every large move has been very hard on Mrs, surprised we went through those actually. Quite hesitant now to move anymore. Worth thinking about that beforehand.

#185     Dec 12, 2017
  6. LacesOut

LacesOut

I adore Mexican food...
    Admittedly, i was in Phils for only 8 days (4 days in Manila, 4 days in Boracay)...and while the fresh fish in the islands is always great...the food in Manila and surrounding areas was so mediocre....bland and fried and unappealing...Not to mention I got the worst case of food poisoning in my life there (drinking freshly squeezed juices on the street)...

#186     Dec 12, 2017
  7. LacesOut

LacesOut

I had an excellent meal here and there, too..
    but compared to the rest of Asia, Phils is the very bottom rung of the ladder...

#187     Dec 12, 2017
  8. d08

d08

Yeah, I'm not that far from BGC and while it's very business oriented, it is also very modern. Expect 25,000 pesos (500 USD) and upwards for a nice 2BR condo.

I have never tried freshly squeezed stuff over here except in small resort towns. No food poisoning cases to report in 3 years. You cannot assume everything is safe here, you need to use your own judgment. Seeing the amount of people puking on the sidewalks (it's like a national sport), I'd say food poisoning from questionable sources is common.

The positive thing here is, you can get the ingredients for many international cuisines relatively easily and cook good food if that's something you're willing to do. It's considerably harder in mainland Asia. The Mexican food I've had here has been mediocre as well but DIY is obviously great.

#188     Dec 12, 2017
  9. tortoise

tortoise

Good list. I keep hearing that Lisbon is a dump, though...

#189     Dec 12, 2017
  10. luisHK

luisHK

Uh ?!? is it that cheap ? i checked some ads for villas on mc Kinley Hills and it was more like 5000up. Still cheaper than where I live but curious to know the right website where to look for real estate, rent or buy, in BGC, if you can share a link.
    Besides I have Filipinos friends whose kid is studying in BGC and when talked about apartments there it didn't sound they had found a nice 2BR for 500 either.
    Been there a couple of times, it's the only place I found which looked liveable long term in Manila.
    Didn't find the food too bad, there's a small chain with at least a restaurant in BGC and Makati where they serve large organic salads, quite nice, and nowhere to be seen around here.i forgot the name but we ate in both their restaurants a bunch of times, next to the salads they serve basic mediocre italian food. I passed but still fine for the kids.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    #190     Dec 12, 2017