Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. truber

truber

We live in Waltham with one more to finish up school in a year and considering renting the house and relocating. My work for Oracle has taken my around the world.

Considering:
    Santiago #1 by far
    Budapest
    Munich
    Lisbon

#141     Dec 9, 2017
  2. tortoise

tortoise

I hear a lot of great things about Chile. Budapest, as well, although I just can’t see learning Hungarian.

What is it about Lisbon that you find so appealing?

And why do you rate Santiago so highly?

#142     Dec 9, 2017
  3. tortoise

tortoise

Great info. Thanks.

#143     Dec 9, 2017
  4. truber

truber

There are a lot of English speakers in Budapest so it was easy.
    Santiago has a very modern European feel with the relaxed Latin lifestyle. Loved it. We didn't talk deals at lunch, afternoon coffee or dinner, but rather life, family and kids. The mountain views are awesome with the ocean just a couple hours away.
    Same in Lisbon, but a bit more rustic and right on the ocean.

#144     Dec 9, 2017
  5. d08

d08

Fiber is 1500 and up if you can get it, not all areas are covered.

Foreign aid wise Japan gives more as well as ADB and World Bank. Americans have been kidnapped more than once, you think Islamic terrorists will leave Americans alone? Why would they?
    $400 for rent is plenty for a 2br condo in nice area.

#145     Dec 9, 2017
  6. bobw

bobw

Bocete, Panama. Stable dollar based economy and SanDiego like climate year round.

#146     Dec 9, 2017
  7. volpri

volpri

Thanks..you can always fly down stay a month or so and just see if it meets what you are looking for....it is much cheaper to go the b&b route for a month as good hotels are quite expensive. Plus you get kitchen..furnished place..privacy...etc as opposed to hotel stay.

I've lived in Mexico, Honduras, Belize, Panama..been to Argentina..Chile..Guatemala..El Salvador..etc.

However, i am a warm climate type person and don't care for mountains neither. I like flat land ...warm weather..beaches...etc so i could never get used to all the mountains in Honduras Highlands..Mexico Highlands...Guatemala Highlands. Plus i do not do well at high altitudes. I was mostly miserable but on warm sunny days i could sit in the sun and thaw out. I have friends in Canada. The wife and myself loaded up the Goldwing hooked up our combi camper and raced to Mexico to San Cristobal de Las Casas (two hours or so from Central America ...camping as we went.) Then returned back and raced up to Alberta Canada ...camping as we went. It was a dream i had had for years ...to travel on a motorcycle camping. Just decided i had better do it before I got too old to hold the moto up. Glad we did. We saw many sites in Mexico, Dakotas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Canada...etc.

We are from the south so it was quite the journey..back to back long trips on a moto pulling a big Combi Camp.

I like fishing..flat land...warm weather. I don't care for mountains of Tn that everyone raves about. Been there and camped there (this time in the motorhome.) Have friends that live in Gatlinburg. They love it.

So, in trying to decide where to settle down at..I'd take the time to visit as many as money would allow..travel around ...sightsee...find a place that "fits" you and of course your wife if married.

We gotton too old now but still may be good for one more long moto trip. Or may go in the motorhome and pull the moto behind on a trailer. I've gotton used to the comforts of a 40 ft motor home. Back when younger the moto/combi camper journey was VERY appealing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    #147     Dec 9, 2017
  8. volpri

volpri

PS it was cold in Canada in August. Did not like that. But again it was cold in San Francisco in June while locals were swimming in bay with wet suits on. Too much wind in San Francisco, for me. The locals were kinda of strange too. A group of old naked farts were riding bicycles around in the cold right down town around a park. I guess it was some sort of expression of some sort of BS to ride around publically naked in the cold. I figured they might get pneumonia. My comments on the trolley didn't seems to bother other locals riding the trolley nor did they seem concerned for the naked bike riders nor even interested. Some strange people over there. I don't suppose they are all strange but i surely did encounter some who were. IMO

#148     Dec 9, 2017
  9. Cebu is a large city, has everything and is safe and great internet with many expats. Bacolod is growing and has fiber, Cubic, Iolo Iolo, anywhere but western to central Mindinao like Mawari to many extremist groups there. The NPA is in the mountains but are not a big threat in the cities.
    I was an advisor here in the late 80s early 90s and have lived here for 6 years now. I have a child in private school, live on the water and have never had an issue.
    RRY16's comment about even a cheapskate can get trim is true.
    All in all its not a bad place if you like the tropics and a cheap place to trade.

#149     Dec 9, 2017
  10. Why? Is your mom still there?
    It looks like the admins are giving you a pass on your trolling activity in this thread. You add zero value as usual to any discussion, look at everyone of his responses in this thread as proof. Why he isn't banned is beyond me.

Put some sunscreen on pajama boy, I don't want you getting burned.

#150     Dec 9, 2017