Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Why alas? No matter what it's going to be substantially cheaper than Boston. Buenos Aires used to be referred to as the "Paris" of South America in the roaring 1920s. Has the best architecture in South America and if you choose you can live very frugally. There are neighborhoods much, much cheaper than Palermo and it has a more civilized atmosphere than Cuenca or Lake Atitlan.
    Palermo is only second to Recoleta in my view. Recoleta is like Beacon Hill of Boston IE upscale.

#131     Dec 7, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.
  2. tortoise

tortoise

“Alas” because Argentina is nutso, isn’t it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    #132     Dec 8, 2017
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

No. They have a new government ( late 2015) which is pro free-enterprise.

#133     Dec 8, 2017
  4. I’d stick with Vienna, or perhaps even Switzerland if possible, but its pricey.

#134     Dec 8, 2017
  5. bob2007

bob2007

I lived in manila and played poker years ago. Didn't trade. How much is fiber optics in Manila / Cebu?

Philippines is safe for Americans I heard, bc of the US / Philippines foreign aid. They don't kidnap Americans in general. There's also lotsa women that'll probably love you. The place is cheap, Rent is more than 400 USD in manila more like 600-800 in safe areas. It's a good place I lived there for like 6 months. Bars and food and culture is very american. The locals like foreigners.

#135     Dec 9, 2017
  6. bob2007

bob2007

Irrelevant. You only go out at night, the place is so hot in the morning. It's before 10 a.m. and after 8 p.m. that you'd wanna be outside. If you live downtown financial district, you're 5 minutes drive to the nicest mall in the world, IMO.

#136     Dec 9, 2017
  7. volpri

volpri

If you like smaller city colonial style..cool weather...decent cable internet...coffee shops...etc then check out San Cristobal De Las Casas in the highlands of southern Mexico. I lived there for years. Just never could adapt well to the altitude. And the cold. But you would probally like its weather. It has Sams Club..medium size mall..theaters...and of course Mcdonalds..Burger King etc along with many local food restaurants. If you need bigger city style then Tuxtla Gutierrez is just about 30 minutes away. But it is a warmer climate. Both places have great coffee shops and in the evenings the central park is usually full of people meandering around ...relaxing..drinking coffee...and at times performers entertaining. Cost of living isn't too bad. In San Cristobal one can rent a decent house in a decent gated neighborhood for 500 to 800 dollars a month. I think i paid about 200 or 300 in a gated community but that was a few years back. I have friends who live there. Lots of tourists come there ....mostly Europeans. Biggest downside is nothing to do much after you check out all the historical sites. You can travel about 1 hour away to the lagos de montebello or find things to do in Tuxtla Guitierrez but if you just wanna go relax..trade the markets...sit around.. drink coffee...wind down...well this might work for you. Tuxtla has an airport to travel to USA via Mexico City.

Lots of Taxis and little buses running aroubd San Cristobal so you actually don't even need a car. However, you can take a car down and get 6 months permit. Then you drive a couple hours to Guatemala ..leave Mexico stay a couple nights in Guatemala and come back in to Mexico for another 6 months.

Google and check it out:

San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

#137     Dec 9, 2017
    VPhantom and tortoise like this.
  8. volpri

volpri

For example: here is a smaller house fully furnished with cable and internet and probally utilities too for 700 dollars a month. I think it is in or very near to the last gated community I lived in. Quiet neighborhood on the edge of town. These sorts of place abound there. You can rent bigger homes also. However, buying a home is quite expensive if in a gated community. Don't know if you looking to rent or buy. People come and stay months or years in these sort of places.

If you are a big party animal San Cristobal is not for you. Check out the reviews...Like I said many places similiar to this abound. Some downtown.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/892299

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    #138     Dec 9, 2017
    tortoise likes this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

I don't know what it is about this picture.... but for some reason every time I see it.... it reminds of the elevators in Trump Tower.

#139     Dec 9, 2017
  10. Khellian

Khellian

I live in San Diego and it has the best climate - 70 degrees in winter is nothing to sneeze at. Bear in mind however that the cost of living here is not cheap, with the price of a three bedroom house in the $600's for a reasonably decent area. I've met some people who have decided to go south and live just across the border in Mexico. They say it is mostly crime free and can live a great life on a fraction of what it costs to live north of the border. Additionally some even commute to San Deigo every day. PLus the climate is the same.

#140     Dec 9, 2017