Looking to relocate. But to where?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tortoise, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Visaria

Visaria

Eh? Not heard of a Westminster in Berks.

#101     Dec 7, 2017
  2. Sig

Sig

I've heard the traffic in Metro Manila is gridlocked to the point of absurdity, is that hyperbole or does it really impact your ability to live there?

#102     Dec 7, 2017
  3. I really appreciate the advice. I am going to research Luzon. Thanks again.

#103     Dec 7, 2017
  4. My bad, I meant Windsor, Berkshire
    semi detached houses for 600k. For that money you get a studuo in Chelsea, London

#104     Dec 7, 2017
  5. d08

d08

It's not hyperbole at all. During rush-hour it's completely hopeless, 2-3 kilometer journeys can take 2 hours. I rely on Uber/Grab here mostly and it's unlikely I'd get a car, despite paying ridiculous prices. But the rush-hour is almost constant now. The few good hours are from 10am to noon and 2am to 3am, so trying to travel around that time makes sense. I once saw completely standstill traffic on EDSA (main "highway" through Manila) at 1am, it wasn't a holiday and nothing special was going on.
    One big reason is that everyone wants to own a car here and it's cheap to do so, this doesn't work in a big city. Then again, the public transport is pathetic, it's packed to the brim and the train service is still terrible due to mismanagement.
    Large areas of Manila are also a slum, I would not advise people to live here unless they have a job that pays very well and it comes with a personal driver - you might as well sit in the back seat and work while waiting in traffic, people do that.

#105     Dec 7, 2017
  6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Nobody liked Toronto -- I get that.
    What about Pittsburgh??
    Largest town in New Hampshire -- and for that matter, all of New England!
    C'monnnnn.
    http://www.pittsburg-nh.com/town-history/indian-stream-republic/2-about
    I once took a walk with my sons
    http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat119.asp
    from Canada south to (south to) the White Mountains, and passed through Pittsburgh.
    Good eating, wonderful people, quiet roads, and as it was near July 4th, there was lots of free protein traveling around in the breeze.....
    [​IMG]

(The rest of the year, it's just good/bad skiing...)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    #106     Dec 7, 2017
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Hey, I know someone, who lives there. If you can live in the suburbs, and avoid traffic not a bad place. In 2 hours away there are both skiing and non-salty beaches. And there are a few sport teams in town, I heard they are quite OK! :)

#107     Dec 7, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  8. tortoise

tortoise

I love Toronto. It's Prime Minister Crying Boy I can't stand.

#108     Dec 7, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Would you prefer Donnie The Mop over Crying Boy? He's all about exports, I hear. Mebbe he'd export hisse'f...... :)

#109     Dec 7, 2017
  10. Sig

Sig

Yeah, careful what you wish for @tortoise. Could be worse, remember Ford?

#110     Dec 7, 2017
    VPhantom likes this.