looking to purchase new computer for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kraft84, Mar 18, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

When I got my first multi monitor system in '98, there were hardly any multiport cards... and they were expensive (some still are).

You can now buy 4 good singles for <$100. I'd always been concerned about spending a lot on a card and have it go down, perhaps losing all monitors. With singles, one goes out and you still have the rest... maybe pick one up at CompUSA and be back up fully in an hour.

#11     Mar 19, 2003
  2. jay567

jay567

the personal computer is a commodity... it really doesn't matter where u get it from and its what's inside that really counts.

i personally find dell a bit pricey... u should be able to find better prices at the small independent stores.

#12     Mar 19, 2003
  3. gnome

gnome

You've hit on something. Not only can it be a bit "tricky" to get multiple cards working correctly, conflicting video drivers can lead to a total trashing of your system... such that you'd have to reinstall the OS and everything else from scratch.

If I were looking to build a multi-monitor system today, I would not try to reinvent the wheel. I'd go on ET and ask guys what they are using that's working well. MB, chipset, OS, video cards... and choose one of the known-to-be-good setups.

#13     Mar 19, 2003
  4. Ebo

Ebo

I love cheap traders.
    DUDE >>>>>>>>>>>Do you trade for nickles and Dimes?
    This game is about making points.
    A trader's computer as far as I am concerned is like a welder's torch. It is a vital tool. BTW........ever hear of a TAX writeoff?

#14     Mar 19, 2003
  5. burnin

burnin

try cyberpowerinc.com for your system
    minimum 512 ram
    2000 or xp pro
    they offer amd and pentium sytems
    mwave for digital moniters
    vid card - matrox, appian eg

if you find better prices, youve done your homework.

sytem 1200
    moniters 600 each
    vid card 300-60alittle more than 2500 but close

#15     Mar 19, 2003
  6. gnome

gnome

No sense in overspending for unused resources. And yes, I've heard of a "tax write-off"

But have YOU ever heard:

"Waste not, want not" --- Benjamin Franklin, or
    "Neither borrower nor lender be" --- William Shakespeare, or
    "F**k You!" --- Tennessee Williams
    :D

#17     Mar 19, 2003
  7. jay567

jay567

the pc is a commodity... doesn't matter who u buy it from be it dell, ibm or a small independent. if u read my post, u'd see that i said it does matter what's inside ~ a P4 from dell is the same as a P4 from Joe's Computer store so why bother paying more?

as for tax deductability, you're still paying for the majority.

as for being a vital tool, of course it is... i'm not saying that you should buy a celeron with 128mb ram and a used 13" monitor

#18     Mar 19, 2003
  8. maxpi

maxpi

I have a VPR Matrix, am very happy with it. Intel Motherboard and processor is important for reliability in my book. Dell achieves "quality" by buying the cheap stuff and burning it in, or so I heard. Very 1970's approach to quality. The "buying experience" with Best Buy can be AWFUL, take it from me, but it can be great, depends on who you are dealing with there. Credit is very easy to get there by the way. The service guys for the VPR computers are not the ones at the Best Buy stores and they have a website which will tell you how to do "do it yourself" upgrades and things, very upbeat organization.

Max

#19     Mar 20, 2003
  9. The key is to go with Nividia...basically one driver runs the show...you only have problems if you mix and mesh. Plus if you want consistency in your pic, you really should go with the same card(s).

#20     Mar 20, 2003