Looking to leave equities trading, what new markets to trade?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by spyglass, May 8, 2007.

1. I like all of them, particularly because I like spreading them against each other. I watch Corn, Wheat, Soy, Oats, Soy Meal, Soy Oil every day.

Intra-month calendar spreads on Corn, Wheat, and Soy are very liquid. Soy Meal less so, Soy Oil even less so.

Corn is a very volatile, very liquid market these days. Soy is the runner up--with the latest planting intentions, it may be that no one plants Soy this year. If that's the case, Soy may skyrocket. The "fear factor" is causing pretty wild volatility.

Try 'em, I think you'll like 'em.

#11     May 9, 2007
  2. http://www.traders.com/Documentation/FEEDbk_docs/Liquidity/FutLiq.html

At the above link is a comparison chart that list all the Futures trading instruments based upon liquidity.

That's an excellent list to keep you busy with for a few months and longer.

Next, you can then do further research via using ET search menu to see what traders are saying about a particular trading instrument from that list.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/search.php?s=

You should also visit other discussion forums outside of ET where traders are talking about those trading instruments.

Mark
    (a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term

#12     May 9, 2007
  3. I think the term "can't make it" is very subjective. There have been times that I have been very successful with equities and times that I can't seem to do anything right. I know the markets are always changing and one must adapt their style in order to continue to thrive. I have made some bad choices and have tried to increase my risk by taking larger positions and holding for a longer time period. Unfortunately this did not work for me.

What I am most interested in is learning about some new markets and instruments to trade. I have been stuck in equities for so many years that I have not looked at futures, currency, commodities, etc. I think I am missing out on opportunities in these markets. I want to learn something new.

I am contemplating getting out of this business, but I realise that my skills are very limited to "real world jobs." As I spend the next several months looking for a job I figured I would learn some new markets at the same time. That is why I am asking what are some good markets to trade.

Thanks,

JP

#13     May 9, 2007
  4. You are right I did not manage my risk effectively as I tried to change strategies. I have learned a very expensive lesson.

That being said, I have been very effective at managing risk for the past 6-7 years. What I am really looking for is more knowledge in the markets outside of equities, and I am wondering what are some good markets to learn to trade?

#14     May 9, 2007
  5. Where/how do you trade these products?

#15     May 9, 2007
  6. Thanks. I'll read the links.

#16     May 9, 2007
  7. YM and CME currencies both are 1 point spread...very important

#17     May 9, 2007
  8. I'm trading them through Interactive Brokers.

#18     May 9, 2007
  9. Same thing happened to me, kinda'. Enjoyed profits 98, 99, 00,(who didn't) and then not so well during 01, 02, 03. 2004, 05, 06 decided to try the e-minis. 20k later and nowhere near having a clue, I went back to what I was doing to begin with. Been profitable every month this year.
    My suggestion. Take a break over the summer and then get back to the basics you had to begin with. Not saying you can't learn the e-minis, just sharing my experience. They made no sense to me. Good luck!

#19     May 9, 2007
  10. I would encourage you. In many ways stocks are not the ideal day trading vehicle, and it seems the exchanges intend to rig the game even more against us. It's a tough business and a time-intensive one with all the stuff you have to follow.

Futures by contrast allow you to follow one market. The hot markets now are the energy complex, but it changes. Grains are also hot. The stock index futures are appealing but tough markets to trade. The interest rate markets are also very liquid.

Futures have a reputation for being risky, but the actual volatility of futures markets is less than individual stocks. It's the huge leverage that is available that makes them risky, but no one is forcing you to use high leverage.

Do some research, learn the ropes, open an IB account and start trading one lots.

#20     May 9, 2007