Looking to hit it big in the HFT trading world (Looking to firm)

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by HFT_Trader99, Feb 25, 2012.

1. I'm currently a trader w/ one of the household name prop firms. I really understand this HFT game and am able to produce some pretty good results.

One of the things about the HFT trading game is that you need speed, and that often requires knowledge of programming / networking.

I'm looking for a firm that is interested in getting into the HFT trading game, and has the resources / programmers in order to really make some money doing this.

One of the most compelling evidence I have it my real time trading results. I don't make a ton, but I almost don't have any down days (don't think I've had a down day in like 50 days) and definitely have a track record where someone who is looking for some HFT help would definitely be interested in.

Is there a website, job posting forums, or any suggestions where I should post my results? I'm thinking of creating a job ad, and just say I'm looking for a company to join with who wants to do HFT and just post my resutls

2. garachen

garachen

I think you are mistaken in what you think high frequency trading is. Instead it sounds like you want to automate pieces of what you do and/or maybe get some faster exchange connectivity.

I only have one algo that I would consider high frequency. During some time periods it will make 200-300 trades per second.

If you have a reasonable track record without ever doubling down it sounds like you either need to increase your size or scale horizontally.

Anything that can trade more than 10 times a second could probably be classified as high frequency.

3. BCE

BCE

"During some time periods it will make 200-300 trades per second." That's interesting. So you actually do high frequency trading? Not just simulated HFT? Doesn't it take a substantial amount of capital?

ADD: I see your other thread here. I'll have to read it when I have a chance. Sounds interesting. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236208&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

4. Let me guess: garachen is simulating fills for crossed quotes in his coalesced feed. :p

5. garachen

garachen

Now if only I could figure out how to pay people with simulated money. Or even better, backtested money. :)

6. BCE

BCE

Just to clarify my own post, I didn't really know who you are. I hadn't seen your other thread yet. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236208 And there are a lot of people that post on this site doing simulated trading only. And there are very few that are engaged with the markets like you are.

I like the way especially you seem to cut through the irrelevant bullshit and refine your business and trading to what is essential and most important. Good trading to you and much future success in your business and life. Thanks for sharing.

7. garachen

garachen

No problem. I'm not at all offended. Even offensive comments don't bother me.

To answer your question. HFT takes very little capital but it does take developing relationships and getting allowed to write direct to the exchange. If you already have a good relationship with your clearer you can get by with about $1m. With no relationship it's more like 5-10m

For the actual trading part capital is pretty much irrelevant.

8. If you play the rebate game and have 2000-5000 quotes out there it's pretty easy to have 10 trades fill per second if the market moves.

OP - if you haven't lost money in 50 days and don't know what to do I suggest you keep making money for the next 50 days exactly like the last before you start asking for help. The only advice that traders give is selfish advice (not always but a lot of the time).