Looking to hire mentor: $1k

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Im Bullish, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Tums

Tums

Learn to trade futures
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=83604

Learn to trade equities
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38777

#31     Jan 15, 2008
  2. The market has and will treat you far worse than ET. If you can't take the heat here, how do you expect to trade?

You have received all the info you need in some of these posts and yet you focus on the negative. Part of the art of trading is emotional balance.

#32     Jan 15, 2008
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Hey, he made an offer, you don't like it, don't take it. There was just an other thread where a guy offered free help. One extra grand wouldn't hurt...

#33     Jan 15, 2008
  4. True, when it comes to things like apprenticeships it's usually the trainee who gets paid, not the other way round!

The general consensus of opinion here seems to be new traders just have to get on with it and learn for themselves, make the same mistakes everyone else has made, and inevitably lose a pile of cash in the process. That's more or less exactly what I did and I wish I'd had the foresight at the time to do what the OP has done, seek out a mentor to teach me the ropes.

#34     Jan 15, 2008
  5. Don't ever let the negativity on this board distract you from your goal--never! I understand your desire to learn, and it's difficult to tell you how exactly to go about it. Every trader has had to try a million different avenues before they turned successful. Keep trying, asking, inquiring, and you'll get better all the time.

Hang in there, and realize the answer is in you. Just trade small enough that you don't bust out before you discover what works for you.:)

#35     Jan 15, 2008
  6. I'm sure you'll find lots of doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. who would disagree with you about the net cost of the process of becoming a professional.

M

#36     Jan 15, 2008
  7. You're right, point taken, I was thinking more of craftsmen and skilled workers.

Supposing a mentor could be found, what would you consider is a fair price to pay?

#37     Jan 15, 2008
  8. If the OP really wants to learn something, try this thread out:

AHG Thread ankedoten is an extremely talented pattern trader, and while that may or may not be your cup-of-tea, it's a good place to start and you have a lot of people that you can work with and learn from.

Otherwise, you're probably just a mischief maker looking to stir the pot up a bit.

#38     Jan 15, 2008
  9. I could definitely see where you were coming from. The reason I default to doctors, lawyers, etc is that successful traders outearn even these highly paid professionals. Craftsmen and skilled workers generally don't come close.

Like anything else, the total cost depends on the skill/experience of the mentor and ability of the student to learn. I would expect to pay upwards of $1k/hour for a truly successful mentor, and to him/her that represents a significant reduction in pay.

M

#39     Jan 15, 2008
  10. :(

• ok.jpg
      File size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
    #40     Jan 15, 2008