Looking to hire mentor: $1k

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Im Bullish, Jan 14, 2008.

1. That's not being negative, but bottom line is that it boils down to learning it for YOURSELF.

The Internet is filled with courses and chat rooms for $1-5K that aren't worth a penny.

That alone should tell you something. Read the journal section, post or PM questions to authors who you find interesting... that's free mentoring for you right there.

#11     Jan 14, 2008
  2. $1K might get you a decent Vegas "call girl" for a few hours; not sure that is the type of mentoring you need, but might reduce some internal stress...

#12     Jan 14, 2008
  3. There you go, that's constructive and points the guy in the right general direction, as well as saving him $1000!

#13     Jan 14, 2008
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I knew a guy who knew a successful trader who was going to let us look over his shoulder and offer his tips and what not for free.

I tend to agree. Naive? Maybe but there are plenty of ways to express your opinion of the original question without acting like a bunch of teenage vultures.
    Not pointing at anyone specifically or even at this thread but unfortunately it's behavior that happens way to often .

Your probably right.

#14     Jan 14, 2008
  5. There is in fact some good, no, great trading advice here if you can find the right people to listen to while tuning out the noise.

#15     Jan 14, 2008
  6. I absolutely agree but it's not always easy for a new trader to recognize an oasis, they often end up drinking sand because they can't tell the difference!

#16     Jan 14, 2008
  7. I am a prop trader with Bright Trading. I am not affiliated with them other than trading through them. I have been with them since April 2007 and it has been a fairly good experience.

Since September, I have been in their mentorship program which I do remotely from my home office. My first mentor was in Canada and was sub par and after a month I asked to be transferred to someone else. I ended up getting transferred to another mentor in California that is fantastic and has not just improved my trading, but my whole outlook on achievement.

I would recommend that you consider transferring to Bright Trading and getting involved in the mentorship program right away. They have a program already established. You can keep your $1000 and maybe prevent having to lose all of your trading capital for trader's tuition, too.

If you do it, and your mentor doesn't work out after about a month or so, request someone else. They will work with you to get someone right for you. Finding a good mentor is not easy, but worth the effort.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,
    Daryl

#17     Jan 14, 2008
  8. The first thing you gotta do is change your handle from, "I'm Bullish" to, "I don't give a rat's ass" if the market goes up or down. Until then, a mentor can't help you.

$1,000? Is that per hour or per day? Oh, per week with continued follow-up? You might get some takers if it's $1,000 per day.

Also keep in mind the student is always the weakest link. You can begin improving on that by changing your handle.

#18     Jan 14, 2008
  9. He never mentioned that he had received training....and many prop firm do not train anymore (it's simply not worth it for successful traders to take the time out of their own trading).

P.S.- Hi Reaver. Hope everything is going well.

#19     Jan 14, 2008
  10. Mvic

Mvic

OP, just read the AHG thread. It contains everything you need to be profitable and thanks to Anek and other contributors it is free. No mentor will come close to giving you a better strategy, even for several times $1K. Anek and others respond to questions on the thread and they even have a free room too where you can get real time help from people. I would have given anything to have had that type of help when I started out.

#20     Jan 14, 2008