Looking to hire a few traders...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trade-ya, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh so that's how it works! Now I know why I never get replies from hedge funds...

(Note to self: Delete Worldco from resume.)

#41     Sep 21, 2003
  2. trade-ya

trade-ya

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that you are disturbed about my comment about edge. Frankly, it's all about the edge. If you have it, you are a guaranteed winner. If you dont, you are a guaranteed loser. Of course, the trick is in assessing who has a "legitimate edge" and who doesn't. Usually, the legitimate edges that exist, do so because the other side of the trade is not profit motivated (ie. hedgers in commodities, etc.). Other strategies such as the recently talked about Mutual Fund Timing, certainly have a tremendous edge of which guys made BILLIONS! over the last 5 years. Of course, it's going away, make hay while the sunshines. Strategies like Statistical Arbitrage, etc. capture a liquidity providing edge by facilitating large trades (mutual funds) to get into and out of big positions (slippage is the cost of doing business for many Mutual Funds), certainly IPOs were a TREMENDOUS edge. These are the types of businesses I want to be invested in. Not some gunslinger swinging them around based upon his opinions of where things are heading. Not an edge and not a viable business in the long-term.

#42     Sep 21, 2003
  3. trade-ya

trade-ya

We are not hurting by any stretch of the imagination. However, as a successful entrepreneur, one has to be creative and enterprising in running a business. Sorry you can't understand that. Hope Mickey D's is hiring these days. :)

#43     Sep 21, 2003
  4. trade-ya

trade-ya

Thank you for summing up the essence of the deal nice and concisely. I apprecaite it.

#44     Sep 21, 2003
  5. I know, for a fact, that a lot of daytraders have an edge. Its just not transferable or quantifiable.

#45     Sep 21, 2003
  6. trade-ya

trade-ya

The answer to that question is the same as why anyone provides their services to any company. For extra pay and opportunity, duh.

#46     Sep 21, 2003
  7. trade-ya

trade-ya

If one cannot handle my money with the same care and discipline as they would handle their own, that person is not for me. In other words, if they are of the attitude, heads I win, tails you lose, that person is not for me. If that person does not have the skill to put aside their "fear" of losing weather it be my money or theirs, that person is not for me. Thanks for your response, nonetheless.

#47     Sep 21, 2003
  8. trade-ya

trade-ya

I would highly recommend that you replace Worldco with Enron, Worldcom, or any of the other major disasters. You would probably have a better shot at getting an interview. :) FYI, I'm not singling out Worldco, they are all roughly the same in the eyes of the Hedge Funds. Just Worldco seems to have a particularly bad reputation while First New York and possibily Schonfeld have a better reputation.

#48     Sep 21, 2003
  9. trade-ya

trade-ya

If this elusive edge that you speak about isn't transferrable (than I don't need it) or quantifiable, is it explainable? Can you just state in plan English what edge they may have? Simple question. Tough answer I'm sure. Thanks.

#49     Sep 21, 2003
  10. Ebo

Ebo

Go back under your rock.

#50     Sep 21, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.