Looking to get a new computer - Any advice would be really helpful

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by max23, Dec 7, 2014.

1. max23

max23

I dont know much about computer hardware, but both my current computers are really not functioning very well, they are a pentium 4 for 2006 and a i3 laptop from 2008.

So I guess its time for me to upgrade as my current computers struggle with the mulitple things that I have going on like data feeds, broker platforms, testing and my various excel models.

Would really appreciate any advice or what I should be looking out for
    I would prefer a tower/desktop pc this time and for it work with either 3 or 4 screens.

Thanks !!!

2. NoBias

NoBias

3. seadog

seadog

I'm still running Xp. Not into tablets and laptops. What's the next software upgrade is the best? I day trade. Don't need gaming speed.Not sure I want a touch screen.

4. xandman

xandman

Your better off with 2 medium range PCs than one single system. Specially for backtesting where it will demand most of your resources.

Intel i5s or an old Xeon will be enough. Get yourself some NVS 295 (or better) cards for multi monitor setups unless your into GPU programming.

Look up the threads of our local gurus Scataphagos etc. Even after a year, they are still relevant.

5. I'm in the same boat as you...my current/old desktop PC computer is from around 2006...Intel Pentium 4, Windows XP -- it still does the job well though.

But I plan to upgrade soon...I want to replace my big clunky dinosaur PC...and buy a laptop instead.
    Intel i7 quad core, Windows 8, 16GB memory...good gaming 8GB video card, large hard drive, yadda yadda yadda -- the works. ;)

I never really understood why some traders need like 4+ large monitors (seems kind of ridiculous)...I've been trading successfully for years on just my average single desktop PC.

6. mmt

mmt

Some traders may require 4+ large monitors. It depends on the number of markets, expires and style.

7. xandman

xandman

Constant resizing and shifting of windows will give you carpal tunnel. It is nice to keep some screens static in their own box. Charts that you watch constantly with your favorite time frames or market monitors/screeners with semi permanent settings. When you launch your trading apps, those screens are immediately setup and you don't have to think about them. Your main screen is where you hash out ideas (surf Elite Trader) without disrupting the regular business.

Like the guy said: multiple data feeds, platforms and excel models... he will have to make sure his experiments don't kill the live trading platforms. ie backtesting, genetic algo buiders will soak up all processor and memory regardless of his PC's throughput.

There's desktop management software for to recreate the same thing on a 29"-34" and Process lasso to manage resources....but that just complicates things. More software to manage other software.

8. Refurbished Dell Latitude laptop with the docking station added in.

9. you guys make so much money with your amazing trading prowess, you dont upgrade systems for 7 years?

et is great

here's my system
    [​IMG]

10. You don't have to have the latest and greatest technology to be a great trader. -- Trading is not rocket science, or some weird complex futuristic lab science engineering stuff. o_O

Look at Warren Buffet...I read he doesn't even have a computer in his office. -- Although this is not a great example or comparison...since he's more, anyways, of a long term investor. But you get my point, more or less.

I'm personally not a fan of tablets and phones. I tried them, but they never really stuck with me. Touching feels weird, and the screens are too small. I love my Windows XP computer.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    #10     Dec 9, 2014