Looking to Chart Options Expiration Cycles

Discussion in 'Options' started by jr07, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jr07

jr07

Hello all

I need to create a monthly candelstick chart for the last 20 years of Options Expiration candles, i.e. the close being the third friday of every month instead of the calendar close.

Any idea how to do this?

J

2. Not sure your level of sophistication, but if you know R, download, install and use http://www.quantmod.com/.

3. jr07

jr07

thanks. def too sophisticated for me...

4. gibson02

gibson02

i'm sorry for asking since i don't know R...can you tell me what this link is for ?

5. A popular R package that provides elitetrader-friendly functionalities for those willing to do some coding.

> install.packages("quantmod")

> require(quantmod)

Written and maintained by the estimable Jeff Ryan http://www.lemnica.com/.

6. jr07

jr07

OK so I have now familiarized myself with R since I found no other way to do this, but I still can't figure out how to use quantmod to draw the chart I need?
    Help appreciated
    J

7. spindr0

spindr0

Are you looking for the UL's close on the 3rd Friday? If so, what symbol?

8. jr07

jr07

I am looking to demonstrate that this past options expiration cycle (August 2011) was the worst in the last 15 years. (down 16% NDQ from Monday 7/18 Open to Close Friday 08/19)

9. And what is the purpose of this demonstration?

You are posting in an options forum, how can a 16% NDQ drop be considered "the worst in the last 15 years" for options. No such thing as a bad month for options. For the month of August 2011 I posted a LIVE blog of my QQQ options trades and made a return of +112% .

If the market gives you Lemons, make Lemonade. August 2011 QQQ Weekly Option Trades - Final Results

---------------------------------
    I put the ELITE in EliteTrader

10. spindr0

spindr0

See Apriil of 2000. Let me know if I get an A from your teacher

#10     Sep 11, 2011