Looking to buy a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakinec, Aug 17, 2009.

1. response time is when you move ur mouse and the time it takes to move on screen.

from my experience with a dell 2408wfp with a pva or 1 of those panels when i was moving my mouse it felt sluggish right after i tried a hp 5ms monitor.

There are good sides and bad sides to both types of monitors tn and others but for gaming lower ms the better.

I didn't think u were bragging. Just from my experience, books that i've read and shows that iv'e seen.

u get clobbered.....when you begin to think u..... can't be stopped or think you can do anything.

#51     Aug 20, 2009
  2. If by "square" you mean "conventional", 4:3, 1600x1200 (UXGA)... the largest is about 21". 1920x1200 is the widescreen version of UXGA.. and they run 24-28".

#52     Aug 20, 2009
  3. Sorry man, but I don't believe a word that you say. I think that you are simply here "pulling everyone's chain" and creating web activity for ET.

Just a few months ago you indicated you were "interviewing" prop shops, but admitted that you didn't have the $10,000 to open up an account.

You still never answered my question about what trading platform you are on.

No need to continue wasting my time here answering your fictitious questions.

You are a fraud.

#53     Aug 20, 2009
  4. Bakinec

Bakinec

Creating "web activity" for ET?? What the hell is that and why would I want to do that? :D

I actually created a thread in Software section yesterday to ask a question about xTrader :)

I was a prop trader at a firm, but I decided to trade my own account and trade futures after getting fired; since you remember an alleged post I made months ago, I think you must've read my thread on it two months ago, which was closed, and I don't recall ever saying I don't have "10K to open up an account", maybe I did, maybe I didn't, what does that have to do with anything or with this thread?? Whatever you say.

Besides, what does you knowing whether I trade a real account and what platform I use have anything to do with this thread on building getting a new PC?

I'm sorry if I somehow managed to offend you :)

#54     Aug 20, 2009
  5. DonKee

DonKee

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

You might be able to customize one of their $599.00 computers with upgrades to get you to where you want to be for under $1,000.

I'd rather pay $100 for them to put the unit together for me rather than spending massive amounts of time figuring out if everything is compatable and then putting it all together.

#55     Aug 29, 2009
  6. Hello, in need of a new desktop, sounds like all is really needed to trade is a intel duo or quad with 4GB of memory and 320-500GB hard drive? Daytrade and have 18 charts up at one time, not a techy so my computer jargon is quite limited, just a trader.

Thanks, Happy

#56     Sep 1, 2009
  7. You are way too high with your disc. You can trade happily with a 60gb disc ;) Not that it makes sense.

Your choice what to get. Note that I advice against sharing one OS with other things than trading....
    ...BUT: having a hard disc frame that allows swapping them out easily means you can have multiple discs, with difference OS images.
    ...OR: you use windows 7 - it can simulate hard discs into VHD files and CAN BOOT FROM THEM, so you can have a trading boot, a game boot etc.

If you make that, you may want as much powre as you can... for the gaming use ;)

#57     Sep 1, 2009
  8. Carefully reconsider the amount of money you wish to spend as well as buying an Alienware.

I can afford to buy a top of the line Alienware or fill in the blank Maximum PC's best of the year. I won't and never will.

Here's why. About 5 years ago, someone I knew spent about 5000 USD on the top of the line Alienware at that time. It was beautiful. Truly remarkable.

For about 1500 USD I put together my own PC that while not quite on par, was certainly 80 per cent there. A year after that I put together a PC for under 800 USD that blew the Alienware away.

Over the course of two years I ended up with a PC that completely outperforms his Alienware. He's still stuck with it. I on the other hand, can buy a brand new PC each year for about 600 to 800 USD.

#58     Sep 1, 2009
  9. If you are using Windows XP 32bit - 3G of memory is all it will use. No reason to go to 4G unless you are using Vista 32bit. XP 32bit has a max of 3G, no matter what you are doing. 64bit will utilize more memory, but make sure your trading apps will run with it.

#59     Sep 1, 2009
  10. And who would be so stupid to run Xp 32 bit on a modern computer machine?

Seriously.

Vista, Windows 7 - all valid. But even XP had a 64 bit mode.

THere are MANY advantages to run a 64 bit windows OS EVEN IF the applications on it are 32 bit. THe applications can use more memory if the 3gb (the OS basically gets out of their way in their address space), the OS can cache etc.

I am just in the process of upgrading all our machines to Windows 7 and had said goodbye to 32 bit OS a month after Vista came out - we replaced (granted, 32 bit) XP with 64 bit Vista and never looked back.

#60     Sep 1, 2009