Looking to buy a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakinec, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ... with a BUY/SELL button 6-inch big. LOL!!!

#41     Aug 18, 2009
  2. "JumboTron"... just SOUNDS like the sort of thing that should be high on the wish list of every trader... :D

#42     Aug 18, 2009
  3. That's how one avoids Fat Finger errors..

#43     Aug 18, 2009
  4. Bakinec

Bakinec

Thanks for the replies guys! Wow! I never thought this thread will grow so big.

I am currently trading, and this is why I want to buy a very fast PC, because I have practically doubled my money the last 2 weeks several times over trading ES.

I know 5K is a lot, that's why I said it better be the fastest out there if it comes close to that price tag.

I want a really fast PC, to be able to play the latest games (gta, mafia II, crysis, etc) at MAX settings at great frame rates coming out for at least the next 5 years.

I frequented other PC boards and based on what people say here and there, I'm probably going to build my own system with the most powerful components available:

- Nvidia GTX 295 (x2)
    - i7 Core 975 3.33Ghz (on the build-it-yourself PC forum I went to a lot of people said 975 is basically an overclocked 925, so might as well buy 925 yourself and overclock it, whaddya guys think?)
    - 12GB DD3 1600MHz RAM
    - X58 motherboard
    - Vericoplaktor (sp?) hard drive

What else?

I initially wanted to buy one big (24+) SQUARE monitor, but can't find any that size. I'm prolly gonna go with a widescreen 25-28 inch monitor.

Is it better to get two smaller (square) monitors than one big one in terms of performance and graphics?
    I currently have a square 19 i-Inc monitor. No complaints so far after 2 years!!

Thanks for the help guys (you too Landis :) !!)

#44     Aug 19, 2009
  5. Bakinec

Bakinec

BTW does anyone know if square monitors over 22" are available??

#45     Aug 19, 2009
  6. I would use small two monitors. I personally started with just one monitor and now has grown to 3 monitors.

But seem like you have money. So go with two big monitors.

Also with the graphics. Playing being able to play games 5 years from now on max settings i think it might have even with the nvida 295 it might have a hard time. Just read some bench marks and a single nvida 295 crumbles with settings with 2560x 1600 on with AA and I assume high settings. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,2107-4.html

The bigger the monitor and resolution the more gpu power to run games.

12gb is alot of memory for now i would stick with 6gb then from there decide if you need 12gb.

Technology is always improving. Personally i would just buy the latest but not top of the line shit(fastest). You pay a premium for the fastest and latest things. A six core chip is coming from intel in 2010 and a 8 core in 2011 from what i read.

I would go with core i7 920 DO stepping if u want to go that route and overclock. Then you'll have to think about how to cool it air cooling or water cooling. I've oveclocked my computer before and it's pretty simple.

Maybe check out ssd's.

Since you are into games i recommend tn panesl instead of ips,pva panels. The ips and pva have slower response time which isn't good for gaming and trust me you can tell the difference.

Also when u make a killing out of the market don't get too confident and think you can do anything. Be humble. or else the market will snatch it right back.

#46     Aug 19, 2009
  7. Consider a SSD (Solid State Disk) rather than a conventional disk drive. The G.SKILL Falcon 128GB has had very good reviews and is well priced for what you get. The Intel SSDs may be even better but are a little more expensive.

For most purposes SSDs outperform conventional disks by a large margin.

#47     Aug 19, 2009
  8. Very true. Today's very expensive top of the line very quickly becomes tomorrows also ran. Better to turn over your technology at regular intervals, than buy overpriced top of the range models.

#48     Aug 19, 2009
  9. #49     Aug 19, 2009
  10. Bakinec

Bakinec

Thanks for the poitners!! Especially about being humble, that's very true. I didn't mean to brag about it. It's just that my PC is killing me at it's snail-like pace and I'm willing to spend a lot to be able to use one of the best available (kind of like making a psychological compensation there??).

#50     Aug 19, 2009