Looking to buy a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakinec, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Bakinec

Bakinec

I think you folks are right.

I'm probably going to build my own system.

Going to have to find a good guide or book on doing that.

I meant the Extreme i7 processor, which is I think 3.33Ghz. Overclock it to 3.7-9ghz.

#11     Aug 17, 2009

2. Are they really this cheap these days? Wow, haven't shopped for a pc in 5 years.

#12     Aug 17, 2009
  3. I had a deal news coupon, but look at The HP and Dell websites, you would be surprised whay $750-$1000 buys you lately.

#13     Aug 17, 2009
  4. fdaron

fdaron

5k will definately get you a ver fast PC. But you don't need to pay a premium for Alienware or DELL XPS systems, you can just buy the components and probably pay only half or 3/4 of what you would if you were to buy an alienware system.

If you play games over the internet the delay times of the monitors could come into play I guess, but really it doesnt matter, except 12ms which is a bit high, they had 12ms back in 2005 orso... However 2ms is very good. you would never notice that.

#14     Aug 18, 2009
  5. Since you failed to answer my question about what trading platform you are currently using... I'm going to assume that you are not currently TRADING.

It's very difficult to be helpful to a poster when they give very few specifics and refuse to use the search function.

Good Luck on "building" what you want.
    :)

#15     Aug 18, 2009
  6. Very true.
    The Dell Precision line is a solid value with lots of versatility.

#16     Aug 18, 2009
  7. For <$1,000.. maybe $1,200 tops (not including monitor) you can get a gaming ROCKET. What's important is a decent mobo (like x58), adequate RAM, "fast enough" CPU, (like i7) and "fast enough" video card (like Nvidia GeForce GTX something).... all the rest is just overpriced bells and whistles.

If you're willing to pay $5K for such a machine, they should also come paint your house.

#17     Aug 18, 2009
  8. ::and "fast enough" video card (like Nvidia GeForce GTX
    ::something).

This is the only thing I would object. You should possibly have a look at the Matrox financial line of cars for running a lot of monitors. 3-4 monitor cars. Expensive, but.... if you want to run more than 3-4 screens those are the only one out.

That said, the rest is right on spot. Do NOT buy trading computers as "trading computers". If the company offers great service - superb. But otherwise, a trading computer by todays standards is a sub-average machine ;)

#18     Aug 18, 2009
  9. Not quite correct. (1) He was talking about "really fast"... which while not necessary for trading, still need not cost $5K. (2) Nvidia has a similar line of workstation video cards as Matrox (actually, Matrox virtually copied Nvidia's NVS line), but Nvidia's are better priced... cheap, if you buy on eBay... and used cards are OK.

#19     Aug 18, 2009
  10. 3121

resolution sucks for a 28" monitor

#20     Aug 18, 2009