Looking to become a Registered Rep.. w/ a felony

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by semantik, Jan 9, 2006.

1. semantik

semantik

For sure the NYSE wouldnt allow me to trade with them? even with an expungement?

Are you saying I'm doomed?

#11     Jan 9, 2006
  2. semantik

semantik

I found this at the NYSE website:

http://www.nyse.com/pdfs/01-234.pdf

if you read teh footnote on the very last page, it says that if this person had his conviction expunged he would be able to reduce his statutory 10 year requirement that is set forth in the act of 1934.... so i my have a chance....

#12     Jan 9, 2006
  3. If the record is expunged, then it is expunged. It no longer exists.
    It never happened as to the public record. His felony conviction was reduced to a misdemeanor. He must check check with your attorney whther answering no.

#13     Jan 9, 2006
  4. semantik

semantik

That is true, its expunged, no longer exists... that works if I were to apply at any other job... but Government agencies, and I'm assuming the NASD will find records... I realize its better not to lie, and to disclose the information.... I feel through asking questions that i could get approved by NASD....

But I'm becoming scared about posts I read where getting approved with an actual exchange, NYSE for example, might be difficult...

I guess I'll have to do some calling to specific agencies/organizations.

#14     Jan 9, 2006
  5. talk with legal counsel.

#15     Jan 9, 2006
  6. semantik

semantik

If i could find one that is specialized in this area....

I just called a local NASD office, and the guy said because it was reduced to a misdemeanor at one point and also expunged, and that it had nothing to do with anything fiduciary, they wouldnt ask for special supervisionary circumstances from the firm, and i should be fine....

#16     Jan 9, 2006
  7. RXIS

RXIS

i would do what everyone else said about seeing a lawyer.

A friend of mine was actually busted for dealing drugs and he is working on becoming a stock broker. He says there are no problems that he is to likely encounter. Thought I'd tell you just in case your nerves are botherin ya.

#17     Jan 9, 2006
  8. alanm

alanm

My understanding is that having a conviction expunged means that it never happened. If it asks "have you ever been charged with a felony", that might be more complicated.

When you go to your local law enforcement office to get your fingerprint card done, explain your question and ask them to run you, and you should see what anyone else will be able to see.

You might also just call NASDR and ask them (anonymously).

You might also ask the lawyer that handled your case, who may be nice and not charge you an hour for the conversation :)

#18     Jan 9, 2006

9. No I'm saying the easy hurdle is the NASD. THe tough hurdle is going to be the exchanges. I think it has something to do with the BD's relationship with the exchange, be it Philly or the NYSE.

Given this, I have heard of people with convictions and/or arrests still being certified to trade.

I have a BD looking into my elgibility as I type. LOL. So I plan to post here if I hear any details you guys could use.

#19     Jan 10, 2006
  10. dac8555

dac8555

man, i want to know what you did...

were you a dealer in college or something?

#20     Jan 10, 2006