Looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by robcate01, Jun 30, 2007.

1. robcate01

robcate01

Hello everyone,

I am new here, my name is Robert and I am 19 years old. I just wanted to get some feedback on what is the best route to take for my education, to set myself up for the future, in the market world. I have taken an interest in currency trading and I want to pursue a career either trading or involved in the field, and then spread out to the other markets. I know that most skills are not taught in schools, but in order to get a job anywhere it would be best for me if I had some credentials. I just finished my first year of college, my current major is Business Economics and I am working towards a minor is French and German as well (with hopes it will be beneficial for me later).

Please give me any advice on what I can do that will help me on my path to my career. Thank you.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!!

2. mogul

mogul

I suggest getting as high a degree as you can (at least a masters) in a hard quant field, or an MBA from a top school if you can get in

You can study trading from books and the internet on your spare time during college, start with small accounts and try to grow them slowly

3. Ya gotta get face to face with who's doing what and how. Sign up for one of those free retirement seminars you see advertised in the local papers. See what they are selling and how they sell it.

Call a broker from the yellow pages get a meeting, tell him/her your going to fund an account in six months with some birthday money (any bs will do, so the pressure is somewhat off). Check out the sales technique, what they want you to buy, tell them you want to buy Cisco or GE cause someone told you too. Do the same with an insurance agent, learn the terminology. You need a broad base.

Get your real estate license and take some HR Block or some kind of tax courses. My daughter spent her 16th bithday with me at the local school night course on trading options from some broker from ag edwards. Did I expect her to trade options when she left? Hell no.

Its all about exposure, you're young, you can connect the dots later.

4. robcate01

robcate01

This is what I am trying to do now. The school that I currently go to isn't that prestigious but I am transferring to a better school after this winter. UC Riverside - UC Berkeley or another top school, which I think will help me to get into Grad school easier. As for studying trading I have FXCM account and I have been trying to read Kathy Lien's "Day Trading the Currency Market" while making some trades on the side. Should I also try to shoot for internships as for next summer and if so where? I live on the west coast.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. robcate01

robcate01

I like the idea of the exposure approach. If I want to see how its done, it is best for me to go out and look at it professionally. It will definitely give me a base, and show me how things work. As for Real Estate, getting a real estate license I think involves a degree now if I'm not mistaken; however, I will definitely look into that.

Thanks for the feedback.