Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Groosh, Apr 24, 2008.

1. 1. Congratulations on your success. You are already in the top 10% of traders for staying in trading for more than a year.

2. I can only assume that you are not a speculative trader, but a conservative one, and that is why more of your money is not in the market. With this in mind, I concur with another poster who suggested you put that money away in a highly-liquid yet not-in-your-pocket fashion for emergencies, because they WILL come.

3. Keep $10,000 in cash in small bills somewhere at home for disasters. I don't know where you live, but whether by earthquakes, hurricanes or attack, whatever is coming will render your debit card dead for a long time, and you will still need to trade for essentials.

Again, congratulations on your success. The drawdowns will come.

#11     Apr 29, 2008
  2. just leave $5000 for trading. when I started to do trading, I doubled three accounts just overnight (my roth IRA/my wife's and the joint one), then I made a big mistake, partly too excited and encouraged by my wife, I started to move my more saving to the brokage firm and want to make more, that backfired, I started to overtrade, actually I did not produce more while I lost part of my gain.

when loss comes, your judgement will not be clear, you always want to recoup back the loss, then you are hooked as a trader. the good thing is I realized this, then started to withdraw money from my account, just leave enough stake (not too big, not too small). I think $5000 is good enough.

#12     Apr 29, 2008