looking for software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Roddog101, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Roddog101

Roddog101

Yes and I do not know python and all that, I need to spend my time on idea generation rather than learning to code, if I was 20 yrs younger it might be a different story.

#11     Feb 12, 2020
  2. Handle123

Handle123

Reason it took me so long to learn how to scalp and trade commodities was I didn't want to learn how to program. Why would off the wall ideas be on whatever free retail scanners? I suggest take a few years and get good in programming, then you won't have to pay anyone. Go to college computer labs often and people who run them are very gifted so long as they see you working at it.

#12     Feb 12, 2020
  3. Roddog101

Roddog101

Intereasting and I have thought about that before, will it really take 2 yrs? And after being in this for over 30 yrs I know I have some stuff that would actionable,, so it was worth it for you huh? Can you give me a few examples in general terms, your reply makes so much sense, if it was on a freebie scanner every dreamer and fibbanerd and their brother would make it useless in weeks.... Make a lot of sense. I just wished there was a faster path...

#13     Feb 12, 2020
  4. ph1l

ph1l

Maybe try https://www.quantacula.com/

#14     Feb 12, 2020
  5. Peter8519

Peter8519

@roddog101,
    Here is an example of Amibroker scanning.

#15     Feb 13, 2020
  6. Python is another name for spaghetti. The world of finance really needed another way to say 1+ 1 = 2.

#16     Feb 15, 2020
  7. I am older, too (75). I learned TradeStation in a couple of weeks. It can do pretty much any sort of scan or inquiry you can imagine. Furthermore, they have a user forum that is free. People will help you.

#17     Feb 15, 2020
  8. S-Trader

S-Trader

You may be able to do something like this with a canned backtesting product like Trade Ideas "Oddsmaker." Have you heard of it?

My experience with the product is extremely limited -- may have done the free trial years ago, but already had strategies I was pursuing, and wasn't really interested in developing new ones. But it did seem pretty cool, and a trader I was familiar with appeared to do very well with it. I believe he actually became affiliated with them.

They have a number of built-in filters that I believe were along the lines of the metrics you're describing, and you could combine them in various ways. They also had a large suite of technical indicators that you could similarly use in combination. Basically, you use the menu to select your own combination of metrics, plug in timeframes and entry triggers, and then it would spit out statistical results. It wasn't "cheap," but as mentioned, I believe they offer a free trial. Also think their support will help you find or even develop filters to match your needs.

If you do try it, even if only on a trial basis, please let me know how it worked for you,

(Full disclosure: I'm not endorsing the service or product, am not affiliated with them in any way, and don't receive any type of direct or indirect benefits from them.)

#18     Feb 15, 2020
  9. S-Trader

S-Trader

This a random, very old video I found by the trader I referred to, demonstrating how to use Oddsmaker.

#19     Feb 15, 2020
  10. Mark2m

Mark2m

Look at a very simple program Worden TC 2K, I use this for scanning and this can be done in real time if needs be. PCF's personal criteria formula's, Price is > $20 and Volume AVG 12Days> 1MM and Money Stream declining( every imaginable ) scenarios you can do including scanning for candlesticks, etc..The only drawback is pivot points, fibs, extensions, isn't available.

#20     Feb 15, 2020