Looking for pocket decoder for some VIX Futures references

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by stepandfetchit, Sep 3, 2016.

1. upload_2016-9-3_10-27-2.png
    The above is from the CBOE, but unable to find detail on what precisely the yellow highlighted references mean. Or better, point me to where this is explained!
    So far my questions to Mr. Google, have not produced enlightening responses.

2. gkishot

gkishot

Those are weeklies, the leading number is what week of the year.

Apophenia likes this.
  3. gkishot: Thnx, but I figured that out, but am unable to locate what that is based on. Is that code actually a tradable entity, and if so, what is the TOS symbol? Is there any detailed description for that? (AKA: How do I find weekly VIX futures?) Pardon if this is a greenhorn question.

4. gkishot

gkishot

Just enter /VX in TOS trading screen.

5. gkishot: R U joking? That produces only the Monthly futures (/VXGn->/VXZn). The question is related to those weekly references. Below is a screen shot of the /VX reference. If I am doing something wrong, please point it out.
    upload_2016-9-3_14-35-2.png
    Applying to the "Trade" tab results only in the current front month of /VXU6.

6. gkishot

gkishot

I've said Trading screen not Charts screen.

7. Can you please post a screen shot of what you see? I only get "/VXU6" as stated above. Note: I do not trade futures, so very possible I am not holding my mouth correctly for trying to observe the Weekly VX futures.

8. Oh crap! nevermind. I see they have a darn filter turned on. Thx

9. FSU

FSU

Can you trade the weekly VIX futures at TOS now? Last time I checked, you couldn't, even though they list quotes on them.

10. Answer: For TOS, cat the following "/VX".nn.m.Y, where nn is the week of interest, m is the Month code (G ... Z), Y is last digit of year. They typically are available only about 2 months out, kinda like the weekly options on RUT & SPX. a sample TOS Chart below:
    upload_2016-9-3_17-41-41.png
    and the trade tab:
    upload_2016-9-3_17-47-2.png
    Thnx to gkishot for the info.

#10     Sep 3, 2016
    gkishot likes this.