Looking for platform independent API

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by silicon.bz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Occam

Occam

FIX is just a connection protocol, and it is implemented somewhat differently at every place it exists, although the differences can be small.

FIX can be used to talk directly with exchange servers (so no broker between you and the exchange at all), although this type of arrangement, known as "sponsored access", may be tougher to get or even outright banned now, and also requires an expensive exchange colocation.

Many "higher-end" brokers allow you to them connect using FIX, but it often depends on the volume you trade and/or the amount you put in the account. One that will probably give all clients FIX is Lime, but the brokerage itself has certain minima for its clients -- I doubt they'd take someone trading, say, less than 1 million shares per month and with less than $100k opening balance, but I'm not sure about the exact numbers as they're based largely on other posts from ET.

#11     Jan 12, 2012
  2. CentOS 6

#12     Jan 12, 2012
  3. This is an issue.. I am not putting forth that kind of funding right now. :(

Seems like I may have to get over this hatred of Java.. :mad: There has to be something else out there

#13     Jan 12, 2012
  4. Well you could have mentioned that somewhere in your first post. You know that makes a lot of difference. If you want to code something for real, and use a real API, I suggest you get yourself a Windows PC. Then the choices are unlimited.

Platform independance is useful when you are developing applications for the consumer. If you are developing something for yourself, or your company (like most traders/companies using APIs do) then you don't and shouldn't care about other platforms. It's much easier to focus on one, and frankly, most APIs are concentrated on Windows.

Also, other than Java, what other proposition would you have for a cross-platform API? Something with Mono or a complex set of inter-compiled libs or what? Java is pretty much the best solution for cross-platform.

#14     Jan 12, 2012
  5. You are nothing short of insane buddy. Go get a CS degree, then give me computing advice, thanks.

Stability my friend, pure stability. Java, and certainly C# don't meet my stability requirements. Neither does Microsoft Windows. Not by a long shot.

Also, FYI, I wrote that I wanted to stick with UNIX in my first post.

Thanks again.

#15     Jan 12, 2012
  6. Sorry I missed that. I thought you weren't even sure what you were talking about, there's lots of new posters here who are just plain ignorant and asking questions they don't understand answers to. You're not one of those I guess. In that case the answer is simple: no, there's nothing out there but Java (that I know of anyway).

#16     Jan 12, 2012
  7. Oh wait actually I remembered I saw one that had something to do with DTN/IQFeed...

I googled and found this:

http://nxcoreapi.com/doc/

Check it out.

#17     Jan 12, 2012
  8. No biggie, I am extremely ignorant. Just about stocks, not computing ;ppp It sure does look like you're right on the money about Java, and with nxcore I'm not sure of a broker that supports it. They all seem to do either Java stuff if they are reputable, or HTTP stuff if they are not.. Thank you for the help.

#18     Jan 12, 2012
  9. promagma

promagma

There are many professional grade APIs but you are licensing technology for a hefty monthly fee and usually have to find your own introducing broker. I use GTP from singularity tech and it is very good.

Also maybe look at just2trade or lowtrades.

#19     Jan 12, 2012
  10. promagma

promagma

If you need streaming market data - check out IQfeed or Activetick.

#20     Jan 12, 2012