Looking For New Trading Computer... A GOOD One For A Good Price?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Jul 11, 2010.

1. I agree

http://tinyurl.com/287mofo

#31     Aug 23, 2010
  2. My new system . . .

#32     Aug 23, 2010
  3. the network interface cards on these boxes are crap
    have fun trying to figure out if your tick data is true

#33     Aug 23, 2010
  4. Interesting point. They don't come with NIC "cards", only a chip on the mobo. If one was concerned about this issue, couldn't one just install a NIC card?? You know, a "good one"?

#34     Aug 23, 2010

5. yeap
    put 'ethereal' on your lan sometimes and watch whats actually coming and going across the network interface

interesting to say the least

#35     Aug 23, 2010
  6. Most modern motherboards have integrated NIC's. I don't think that is the problem. Apparently there is some sort of issue with the Dell's in particular.

Dell precision line is supposed to be their best and they have a great warranty but they are a business and will without a doubt use the most cost effective product they can find that meets the desired specs.

#36     Aug 23, 2010
  7. Same true for HP or anybody else?

#37     Aug 23, 2010
  8. bone

bone

Lenovo outlet store. Get a workstation - I bought a few S20's running 64-bit OS with NVIDIA CUDA Quadro video cards for less than $1500 a pop - fantastic value for a highly regarded box.

#38     Aug 23, 2010
  9. Brings back a funny memory.

I bought a Honeywell keyboard for $195. I REALLY liked the feel and thought I might have it "forever"... hence the decision to spend that much.

Hadn't had it too long when I dropped a margarita onto it.. and the drink splashed up into a floppy drive bay opening... that was before I had a hard drive.

Everything was a sticky mess which I couldn't adequately clean. Nowdays, you can run your dirty keyboard through the dishwasher to make it good as new... :D

#39     Aug 24, 2010
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

WOW!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

#40     Aug 24, 2010