Looking for New Systems

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Tradeanything, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TradeZones, I work for a blackbox fund, we have 2 automated systems that have been profitable 99% of the trading days with the other 1% being very small loses for 5 years now, our new system which has returns well over 100% Year to date already on half a million dollars is trading for one year. This is in the equities markets, so I cant speak for the forex market. I am not saying that these strategies will work forever, but I am pretty sure they wont experience large loses, at some point they may just stop working, but so far so good.

#11     Mar 7, 2008
  2. you are confusing anecdotal ("works for me!") evidence with real evidence (across the entire industry or a reasonably good-sized sample). I have looked at > 1500-2000 systems. I trust that a lot more than your testimonial, sorry.

Many systems that produced outsized returns, have a habit of blowing up suddenly. How many people were gorging on subprime profits until the chickens came home to roost?

#12     Mar 7, 2008
  3. DT-waw

DT-waw

true...

#13     Mar 8, 2008
  4. By your logic, you can say that no company is really a success because in the long run most companies go out of business. That doesn’t take away from the fact that while a company is in business it is making money for its owners. As for my strategies, I know for a fact that they will not blow up because they invest tiny amounts into 1000s of unrelated situations, so even though it will at some point stop working there is a very small chance of a blow up.

#14     Mar 9, 2008
  5. Quote from master718:

By your logic, you can say that no company is really a success because in the long run most companies go out of business. That doesn’t take away from the fact that while a company is in business it is making money for its owners.

You cannot be that naive??? Wonder whether you discussed that with business owners that went bankrupt? Again, using your own example is ANECDOTAL:

Anecdotal evidence is an informal account of evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts. Some anecdotal evidence does not qualify as scientific evidence because its nature prevents it from being investigated using the scientific method. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy and is sometimes informally referred to as the "person who" fallacy ("I know a person who..."; "I know of a case where..." etc. Compare with hasty generalization). Anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical; statistical evidence can more accurately determine how typical something is.

As for my strategies, I know for a fact that they will not blow up because they invest tiny amounts into 1000s of unrelated situations, so even though it will at some point stop working there is a very small chance of a blow up.

Delusion of the finest order. The only thing you know for a fact, is that you claim to have made money up to this point. Any other claim by you is a reflection of insufficient grasp of reality. And there is no reason to accept your claims as you don't provide any evidence. So far, your demonstration of knowledge does not really support your claim, as you seem to not have the grasp of what is involved.

The Hedge Funds, IBs, and banks knew for a fact that their offerings were profitable. Now it looks like subprime is just the beginning. Now other asset classes, even the "ultra-safe" ones that are unraveling:

As Good as Cash, Until It’s Not
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09gret.html?ref=business
    Auction-rate notes were peddled on Wall Street; debt instruments carrying rates that reset regularly, usually every week, after auctions overseen by the brokerage firms that originally sold them. They have long-term maturities or, in fact, no maturity dates at all. But because the notes routinely traded hands at auctions, Wall Street convinced investors that they were just as good as cold, hard cash. Lo and behold, the $330 billion market for auction-rate notes ground to a halt in mid-February when bids for the securities disappeared. Investors who thought they could sell their holdings easily are now stuck with them.

#15     Mar 9, 2008
  6. Time to read Fooled by randomness :)

#16     Mar 13, 2008
  7. HotTip

HotTip

No offense, but starting a thread like that will likely result in ZERO serious leads. No background, no idea who you are (Who the hell is "We" anyway?). Sounds like phishing, and you'll probably end up with shills, which is what you deserve with a post like that. If you're at all serious, you should at least post a url or a pdf file with your firm's credentials so people would at least take you seriously. Otherwise you'l only receive PMs from dopes.

#17     Mar 13, 2008
  8. hello!
    look here:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121100

I took more than 145 % of the profit, in the period : 27.01.2008 to 27.02.2008.

how much you are ready to pay ? :)

Regards
    Fxmanager

#18     Mar 14, 2008