Looking for mentor/chat

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by bigbrent701, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Seg I am a junior at the university of Maryland majoring in economics. I would like to think my writing style is well versed but easy to follow and understand but that is irrelevent. I was unable to get into the business school because my GPA is too low, part of that is because i was too busy trading my freshman year..... wasnt the smartest thing to do. I am not the best with math in a traditional academic respect. I am good with math in an applied approach (other than building fences to maximize the area...). I have taken several econ classes and psych classes, i actually maxed out psych classes for non psych majors. I am looking to add some computer science classes and STAT classes into the mix. I will be up front about this i HATE CALCULUS. I will repeat I HATE CALCULUS. The irony is i like trading derivatives :confused: I dont get it either. Transferring out of UMD is out of the question i will work with what is available to me here.

Hell if your still around in the winter Ill take your advice on some classes to take!

#31     Jul 17, 2006
  2. lol Sarcasm aside, I do attend a local community college at night, but doubt I'd qualify for a job on wall st. I just love trading.

I can take sarcasm once in awhile though.

Just don't want to get off topic.

Brent has started his journal, will definately be interesting to follow the life of a fellow newbie trader, hopefully it will be easier than it was for me when I started.

#32     Jul 17, 2006

3. I understand that alot of successful traders( Mentors) prefer to have experience trader trade with them for a week or so for a price rather than take someone fom scratch . Have you heard of this?

#33     Jul 17, 2006
  4. brent, use "jack hershey, grob109, bubba7" (all the same person).

do searches for posts by this individual

use him as your mentor. (he doesn't post anymore, but the amount of work he has put up on ET will serve as a mentor bot).

you don't have to wind up trading the way he does, but you DO need to see how the market operates. I believe his approach SHOWS you how the market works.

there is more than enough written on ET about his methods to get you up to speed.

be industrious in your search
    be thorough in your investigation...dismissing nothing without giving it due consideration first.

no mentor will charge you money. A real mentor gives freely to someone who they see trully wants to learn and will in turn pay it forward to others.

if you are of my mind you will see the efficacy of my words. I'm not speaking to the status quo.

#34     Jul 17, 2006
  5. Tums

Tums

every message on the board can be your "mentor". And believe me, they will change your life forever.
    BTW, YOu con't need to bring anything to the table to receive... just take your time to read.

#35     Jul 17, 2006
  6. LOL. Perhaps they will never change your life ever. :D

#36     Jul 17, 2006
  7. Dan thank you for your response, will check everything he has written. The information you provided about a mentor i agree with. If they are going to charge you its not a mentor.

I have started a thread in the journal section that will be my permenent thread about my trading endevour(sp?) I invite everyone that is interested in reading to join me on my journey thread

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72958

#37     Jul 17, 2006
  8. #38     Jul 17, 2006
  9. #39     Jul 17, 2006
  10. Citizens! Citizens! Let us re-commence and proceed logically. BigBrent, what financial instrument or instruments do you desire to trade?

#40     Jul 17, 2006