Looking for market liquid than ES?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by kcgoogler, Sep 29, 2009.

1. not a profitable system. breakeven or worse after natural trade costs. anyone with tradestation can write this result or better ten times per day. you have nothing

#11     Sep 30, 2009
  2. I agree.
    Margin is too thin.

#12     Sep 30, 2009
  3. GTS

GTS

You are probably confusing your broker by talking about liquidity which usually means volume. It sounds like you are more concerned about the granularity of the spread which has nothing to do with liquidity in this context.

While an illiquid market may have a wide spread (more than one tick) a very liquid market will not automatically have the tightest spread because its not market-driven: the 1 tick minimum spread on ES is artificially constrained/determined by the contract specifications/exchanges.

#13     Sep 30, 2009
  4. NQ is conspicuously absent from this list, which is odd given some of the markets that are included.

#14     Sep 30, 2009
  5. Get a seat on an exchange. But be prepared to spend a LOT of money.

#15     Sep 30, 2009
  6. ehorn

ehorn

Great link - Thanks for posting.

#16     Sep 30, 2009
  7. I do not disagree with your assertion.

However, I've learned, over the years, that dispensing wisdom on this web site most often resembles an attempt to 'push string uphill' (at best, an excercise in futility).

As such, if the OP wishes to make trading vehicle choices based on the sole criterion provided ('liquidity'), well then, I'll simply provide the information requested and move on.

I noticed that same oddity as well.

- Spydertrader

#17     Sep 30, 2009
  8. Anyone who tries to pay the spread and profit on 1 tick is going to lose big time.

I have been working on a spread trading strategy that tries to capture 1 tick or better when price gets out of line between two different securities.

When I enter my trades I try to limit in on both legs as much as possible. When I exit its the same thing, but sometimes I do have to cross market when exiting the last leg of the spread. Due to the liquidity of the two securities, I can hit free ecns like getco or edga to remove and get out.

Most times I get out at break even, but 1-5 tick trades are common. Now even if I have a break even day, I can still net profit through ECN REBATES. So this will not work in the futures market because of the high commissions and lack of rebates. But I trade prop so low commissions plus rebates makes it feasible.

Ever wonder who is that rebate whore offering or bidding on the ecn that costs the most to remove liquidity, yup thats me :) .

Keep at it and good luck!

#18     Sep 30, 2009
  9. personally, i really enjoy scalping fluid milk all day long :)

#19     Sep 30, 2009
  10. Amazing link !

#20     Sep 30, 2009