Looking for investors to swap ideas....

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by praetorian2, Dec 16, 2002.

1. I don't get this request either. If you have the time,talent, and of course money to establish a hedge fund - you want others to feed you trading ideas?

Since your looking for and outlined ideas and criteria that can be had by any number of stock screening websites and databases - what do you want?

There are many things that you can and can't do - even as an unregulated hedge fund. Soliciting on ET is a big red flag that you have no idea what you are doing - IMHO.

Is the payoff that I can frontrun your order for that great stock I feed you? :)

#11     Dec 17, 2002
  2. I think that you guys seriously miss the point of my request in a number of ways.

1. I am not asking for trading ideas. I can handle the trading aspects of my fund quite well.

2. I am looking for long term investment ideas only.

3. I am not looking to only receive and not give. I intend to share my ideas with those who'll share with me.

4. What I'm really looking for is/are a few people who are very dedicated to hard work and to finding great investment ideas. I am looking for people who have a long term perspective and would like to bounce ideas off me, just like I'd like to bounce some off of them. I want well thought out criticism and insight.

5. Most of the people I know are traders. They're very good traders who make a lot of money, but none of them has a willingness, or desire to bother with longer term investing.

6. I am not even asking for many ideas. I just want one idea, not even detailed, of a stock that you'd buy at the current prices and a reasoning why. I want to use this just as a very basic screen to see who's dedicated, and who's thought processes in stock selection are similar with my own. If you have nothing to share, just ignore me.

7. I am not soliciting investors. I know the laws.

8. If you'd like to front run me and buy some stock and hope that you can dump an idea off on me, be my guest. You might make a few hundred dollars. If you already have a sizable position and you are trying to generate interest in some small cap, come my way. I could give you a small boost in price. That is part of the cost sometimes of trading with others. I'd prefer someone who's honest though and looks to generate good ideas.

I hope this clarifies what I thought was a pretty simple request to begin with.

#12     Dec 17, 2002
  3. but this ain't a joint effort.

#13     Dec 17, 2002
  4. What's not a joint effort?

#14     Dec 17, 2002

5. If you haven't done that, try www.marketocracy.com. You might get better ideas over there. (Of course, you will have to take the alleged performance of those funds with a grain of salt.) You are probably looking at the wrong place here, since most people are short-term traders. And even granting that some are longer-term investors, they depend more on technical analysis than on fundamentals, I believe.

Alternatively, if you want software that can help you uncover investing ideas, try vectorvest, if you haven't done that already. I used that for two months, and found that it's quite good at fundamental analysis. But since I am more of a technical trader/investor, I stopped subscribing. They have a very active forum at Yahoo too.

My two cents,

stock.

#15     Dec 17, 2002
  6. I will look there. I agree with you completely, but I have found a few people lurking here who are quite knowlegable and who have given me some great ideas in the past. I thought that if I kicked in a few tires I could find them, and I still may.

#16     Dec 17, 2002
  7. bro59

bro59

And apparently many are not trading but are simply lurking on the boards waiting to pounce on any post perceived to be an injustice to the vast knowledge they have to offer the trading community. I don't see how a request for the formation of a group of value oriented trader/investor types can be interpreted as such an affront to this community. Even if it is offered with minimal patience.

#17     Dec 17, 2002
  8. I looked at marketocracy, it's not my type of thing either. I'm looking for something like http://www.valueinvestorsclub.com

Unfortunately, no one from there will return my emails.

#18     Dec 17, 2002

9. I am trading--but not daytrading, and I never claim to have vast knowledge to offer. I made the post with the best of intentions to (hopefully) point people in the right direction.

I never saw it as an affront to this community. And I don't understand why my comment was taken so negatively--even with the best of my intentions.

Regards,
    stock.

#19     Dec 17, 2002

10. like you said, we are traders, and most of us arent worried about your stupid thread about wanting trading ideas during the market hours. do your own homework, or tell mommy to help ya !!:D :D 4 hours and no response ?? wow -- how rude can people be ... huh harris ??

#20     Dec 17, 2002