Looking for help finding a website offering detailed stock charts by date?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by marshg, May 12, 2007.

1. marshg

marshg

Hi:
    I want to try to backtest how certain stocks react to company specific and significant news. To do that, I need to look at DAY charts in the past with minute-by-minute [ideally] or 15 min. or 30 min. increment details. For example, if I wanted to look at the price action of MSFT on 1/18/2006, how can I do that? I know you can customize by date on Yahoo Finance, but it just shows a straight line for the day--not detailed price and volume info [which is what I've looking for]. Of course, ideally the website offering this info would be free, but I am willing to pay for such a service [assuming it's not super expensive]. Any leads in for this, would be much appreciated!

Also, if you're aware of any research on how stocks react to news about themselves; I'd love to read up more, so would also appreciate any leads on that as well.

thanks!
    Marshall

2. marshg

marshg

Hi:
    sorry if I wasted anyone's time. I just discovered that this info is available via Big charts.com with their advanced settings.
    M

3. promagma

promagma

Or with www.prophet.net Javacharts, you can see 20 days back. That is the most I know of (for free).

4. andread

andread

isn't bigcharts only for the last 15 days?

5. marshg

marshg

Actually, I found it's with the "interactive setting" choice. And it seems to be totally flexible--though I only tried it for a couple stocks. You simply click and drag the time frame you want highlighted. Very cool--and the price is certainly right. I guess that still does leave the last part of my question. If anyone knows good articles on research of how stock respond to news about themselves that would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Marshall

6. andread

andread

i must be doing something wrong then. If I chose year or decade I can "zoom" into the day, but I can't switch to less than daily. I still have these huge daily bars

7. marshg

marshg

not sure why; play around with the settings. I don't have it in front of me, but if you mark of "day" instead of "year" perhaps for one of the options. also, again, make sure you're on interactive. Again, play around with it [that's what I did]; I'm no computer wiz, so I'm sure if I could do it you can--unless perhaps you have an old browser [I'm using Firefox]. If you see no way to do it, maybe look into updating your browser.
    good luck!
    M

8. Hi Guys,

Disregard if not applicable, but if you're using Interactive Brokers, QuoteTrader provides the type of decision support it sounds like you're describing, and QuoteTrader is FREE too.

Additionally, you can quickly change symbols by double-clicking ones previously entered in the Quote Window, and enter/manage trades by single-clicking the DOM.

Because its a C++ interface, it may complement the browser solutions it sounds like you're using - and there are links to Quote.com's research, news, commentary, corporate actions, etc..

Please send an email if you have any questions or would like a demo.
    Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brent
    QuoteTrader Product Management
    http://pmd.esignal.com/quotetrader
    trading@mail.esignal.com