Looking for fast VPS to IB

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by YeLing, Feb 23, 2011.

1. YeLing

YeLing

Hi, I'm based in Asia with rubbish internet connection and looking to set up a private secure proxy to US to try and reduce latency to IB servers and get around Chinese internet filters.. Can anyone please recommend a decent US based Virtual Private Server with low latency to IB servers? I'm depending on it for DOM / API orders, needs to be as close to 100% reliable as possible with backup in place. Thanks a lot for any recs.

2. YeLing

YeLing

Has anyone else tried setting one of these up? I'm using a commercially available VPN at the moment, but speed is very slow. Constant dropped connections to IB servers, bit of a nightmare as I need to use API orders hosted on my PC.

Is anyone else using Virtual Private Server in US? Looking for one that has very low latency to IB servers which I understand are located in Greenwich, thanks a lot if anyone knows of any.

3. Ubiquity Hosting. Downtown. Williams St.

See attached.

4. YeLing

YeLing

Thanks, looks great: reasonably priced and very quick. Now onto the task of sorting out my private proxy. Thanks again.

5. moarla

moarla

why not login to IB servers in Asia (Hongkong?)
    Or in Europe (Switzerland)?
    Or use a VPN in Europe to login on european servers?

you have many ways to go

6. YeLing

YeLing

why not login to IB servers in Asia (Hongkong?)
    Or in Europe (Switzerland)?
    Or use a VPN in Europe to login on european servers?

I'm looking to reduce latency as much as possible + risk of dropped connection - I'm using front end to manage scale out orders. As I understand Asia Gateway there is some latency getting orders to US.

7. moarla

moarla

latency comes from miles between you and the server.
    so where is the difference logging in on IB asia server and have from there a good line to US - using a VPS and go with that line to US ??
    same milage...

8. YeLing

YeLing

Want to setup orders so they are held on server in US, my front end working there, opens on a stop, limit or whatever, held on my server in US, then scales out from there, not holding my orders here from here in Asia. It's too slow from here, internet is always dropping.

9. cstfx

cstfx

To test latency to IB, you need to ping their trading servers:

Ping gw1.ibllc.com in th US. In Asia, it is gw1.ibllc.com.hk

10. YeLing

YeLing

thanks cstfx

#10     Feb 25, 2011