Looking for decent options strategy for high-probability stock trades

Discussion in 'Options' started by guru, Jun 26, 2019.

1. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Dude,
    why are you so negative?
    There are countless of ways to make money. Some have the quant skills to take advantage, some have the geological location, some are just in the right place at the right time.

#11     Jun 29, 2019
    AlotToLearn, tommcginnis and drmark27 like this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Negative maybe but true.

If OP is counting on 0.02% stock movement to make money, option is not it. Theta, gamma, Vega will overwhelm the changes in delta.

#12     Jun 29, 2019
  3. guru

guru

Generally I agree, though at 0.02% I just wouldn't want to lose, while at 0.60% (average win for this strat) I'd like to do better than with pure stocks.
    I've created a spreadsheet with various option combos to compare potential results, and right now I'm finding that possibly selling naked ATM puts (or calls) to the opposite direction of my predicted movement might work, in the way of scalping little Theta when the stock doesn't move, while also benefiting when the stock does move somewhat, while when losing and later being assigned stock - my cost would be lowered by the extrinsic value.

Though I'm not sure yet that the %returns would be better when selling options for such stock-specific strategies. I'm assuming I'd need to work on options-specific algos, which would also result in different entry and exit points (price & time), time held, etc. (big task to work on in the future)

#13     Jun 29, 2019
  4. KevMo

KevMo

There all kinds of potential data sets that can be extracted from the info you used to make this post.

Spitballing here but...

Seek out some central tendencies in your variables. Obviously, if your system fires winners quickly you're gonna want the gamma in the weeklys, especially if your system cuts losses small fast losses. When you find that just stick w/those signals. Eliminate the remainder. I suppose optimizing how much delta to buy is up to you, how often you have to roll, and the size of your bankroll.

G/L

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    #14     Jun 30, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  5. kj5159

kj5159

If you have a high probability of a small move like that, then why not go with a strategy that makes money as long as the underlying doesn't have a substantial move?

#15     Jul 8, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  6. guru

guru

Sometimes the moves can be larger, say 2%, so the average of 0.60% accommodates both tiny moves and a bit larger ones. Sometimes it can be 30 minutes where the 0.60% move can increase one of the options value by 50%+. So that’s why I was thinking of buying calls, but then I’ve lost when the stock didn’t move much the whole day, or went down first before recovering.
    But you’re making good point, so I’ll look into selling straddles or strangles as well. May just need to adjust my strategy and be able to test it with options...

#16     Jul 8, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. My guess is that you are buying puts or calls that are too close to expiration. You are getting hit by GAMMA - which is the time just before expiration when most of your premium is getting taken.

If you have good stocks and you want to trade them directionally with options then the best idea is to buy them about 20 to 30 DTE - because there is no GAMMA and very little Theta effect that far out, so they will move about the same directionally as the underlying.

To gauge how many to buy - check the Delta. In theory, if you buy 2 calls at 50 delta (100 delta combined) you should get the same return as you would by owning the stock. This works best when you buy options as close to ATM as possible.

If you buy options too close to DTE, or too far OTM, you will find other factors (IV especially and also theta) will mess with your strategy. Like I said - pick one strike, very close to ATM, and buy enough to equal 100 delta and it is almost like owning the stock.

#17     Jul 9, 2019
    guru likes this.
  8. Oh - another "option" is to buy the futures /ES (for SPX, for example). These tend to have far less premium decay when you are close to expiration. You can buy/ES (an SPX put or call) for about $250 on the same day as expiration. You will still experience the Gamma in the last couple hours, though. Best to do it early in the day.

#18     Jul 9, 2019
  9. QQQ is the slowest moving underlying I ever tried. I suggest you try the /NS NasDaq mini futures. Or the /ES SPX futures. These things move fast and you can make buck in a short time if you buy 3 or 4. If you want to be safer, stick to just one position at a time.

And DO take profits. these indexes are very directional - until they aren't. If you are having a bad day it is better just to quit.

#19     Jul 9, 2019
    guru likes this.
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

In all kindness, this single sentence was the only part of three separate posts that is correct. :confused:

#20     Jul 10, 2019
    guru likes this.