Looking for company to buy fast computer .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Motosue, Jan 30, 2006.

1. vinceb

vinceb

amd's are faster, run cooler and cheaper

intel are overpriced and run hot

go with a 64 bit chip so in 2 years when everything is to 64 bit code, you wont be left in the dust with a 32 bit intel chip

#31     Jan 31, 2006
  2. Osiris

Osiris

Bumping this thread...

Anyone heard of: www.digitaltigers.com ?

I am looking to setup a 6 monitor system. Will i be better off going dual core or just a high end Intel/AMD single core chip to run 6 monitors? Other option was for me to run 4 monitors from one PC and then 2 monitors from a second PC...not sure which would be cheapest/best performance.

I have checked out xview, digitaltigers, and now the tradingcomputers sites pretty well...comparing them with DELL and Futureshop (Canadian retailer). It seems like some of the setups on the trading based sites are maybe a tad expensive...although they do seem to offer some premium monitors at digitaltigers...but i am not sure.

With the Future shop I can get 6 17" monitors for around CAD$300 each, which is pretty damn cheap. Then I found www.ergoindemand.com and they have a 6monitor array mount for US$599...so it seems like i can get a 6 17" array myself for about US$2170. Cheapest 6 17" at digitaltigers is US$2999, at tradingcomputers it is US$2385. Doh!!

The link for Futureshop and a couple of 17" monitors is:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10067102&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10063374&catid=

I am not really a tech guy, so maybe i don't know what i am talking about. But just curious what others thought of the established trading computer specialty shops?

#32     Feb 11, 2006
  3. I've heard rumors that there is someone in Chicago that has their own generator, and many solar panels, and that they are currently running 16 monitors off of one computer from their motor home .... astounding ...

#33     Feb 11, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

If you buy from a "trading computers" shop, you will pay a premium. (I run a Dell Dimension 8300 with 4, 19" LCDs and a TV tuner. I bought the PC used on eBay for about $500 [including my upgrades] and $1200 new for the Dell LCDs. You should be able to duplicate that today... even less if you get 17" LCDs.)

If you're buying a new system today, you need to consider the following and in this priority:
    1. How many monitors
    2. Type of monitors, VGA or DVI
    3. Other PCI peripherals... modem, TV tuner, etc.

Now you should know how many and what type of slots you will need and can chose either an AGP or PCIe systemboard which will accommodate everything... and buy video cards accordingly.

As for CPU, I'd personally suggest the AMD Athlon 64X2. Best value will be in the 3800.

#34     Feb 11, 2006
  5. My Pentium III that I bought for 2 hundred bucks with free shipping from PC surplus online is still going strong after several years....you mean I got to get one of these now!

As for CPU, I'd personally suggest the AMD Athlon 64X2. Best value will be in the 3800.

#35     Feb 11, 2006
  6. New egg is really good for parts if you want to roll your own.

About a year and a half ago,I built two machines with roughly the following spec for 700 a piece:

Cooler master wave case
    600 W power supply (cooler master)
    Asus MB (800 FSB)
    P4 3.2
    2 GB Ram (2 Dimms)
    256 dual DVI video cards (nvidia chip)

Western digital 160 GB HD (9200 RPM)

Windows XP Pro. (already owned it)

I installed the bare minimum for os and apps. These machines outperform my Compaq that has similar but even better specs...

I'm sure you could build em cheaper now.

#36     Feb 11, 2006
  7. chisel

chisel

Osiris,

If you're buying that many monitors, make sure they are mountable so you can attach them to a stand or on the wall. The Sharp monitors in one of your links do not look like they are mountable. If the specs say "VESA compliant" then they are.

#37     Feb 11, 2006
  8. The only thing that I would add to this is that Dell customer service absolutely sucks!!! All you have to do to find out for yourself is to call them and ask a simple question, that is if you can understand Hadji from his workstation in New Dehli.

Don-

#38     Feb 11, 2006
  9. Digital Tigers is top-notch -- desktop, laptop, and multiple monitors. And yes, their Samsung displays are sweet.

Avoid Alienware -- they suck moon rocks.

#39     Feb 11, 2006
  10. yes i,m gettign fed up with the indian call centers from everything from dell to mcafee. i hung up on mcafee indian call cenbter as i could not understand the guy and was very frustrated

#40     Feb 11, 2006