Looking for company to buy fast computer .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Motosue, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Sometimes extra cards will work *with* onboard video, sometimes not. Usually you don't find out until you already have the machine and it's too late. Besides, "integrated" video is a cost-cutting, value approach which diminishes the computer's capability somewhat. No need for that sort of thing in a serious trading rig with multi-monitors and multi-video cards.

#21     Jan 31, 2006
  2. LMeyers

LMeyers

#22     Jan 31, 2006
  3. go to ebay and buy an ibm workstation...

type in ibm xeon...

i bought 2 6211 machines with an overpowered video card for about 1400 each...

i sold the card for about 600 so my net cost was 800

ibm offers 9 to 5 next day in home repair included in this price...

ibm still sells workstation and servers...

these are not lenovo units...

couldn't be happier...

2 dual xeon processor machine with ati cards and 7 sony monitors for around 8000.00 total...

3gb ram and 2 36gig hd on each machine...

all bought on ebay...

#23     Jan 31, 2006
  4. Thanks. I looked all over the dang thing but didnt see it.

Hey, do any of you guys know if this will work. I have a dell xp pro cd. If I buy a dell with xphome edition on it can I install the xppro on it?

#24     Jan 31, 2006
  5. Enginer

Enginer

Don't forget Monarch Computers. They base their business on satisfied customers. I just bought a workstation from them with no issues, good price. I think they will be around for awhile.

For the less conservative, find a local shop that does most of it's business with local banks, small businesses, etc, and has been in business for several years. Check their references (if they complain, run quickly away...) and tell 'em what you want.

The major issue in DIY is incompatibles. Someone like Monarch or a good local shop will do a burn-in and check out any applications you request.

#25     Jan 31, 2006

6. I bought my Dell with XP Home and upgraded to XP Pro no problem, but I would recommend doing a fresh install not an upgrade. When you buy a mass marketed PC they put alot of crap on the HD. I wish I would have just done a fresh install of XP Pro. Otherwise delete the aol and crap on the HD and then use tuneup.com to get them out of the resistry.

#26     Jan 31, 2006
  7. i bought 2 dell 3000's for $400 each alst year with 1 gig rama nd put 2 double head video cards for a total of 5 monitors in each computer and it works great. only problem with the dell 3000's they're noisy as heck

#27     Jan 31, 2006
  8. I've always used workstations with Intel inside, but I am hearing that AMD chips are now as powerful and as fast as Intel's. Is this true? I can save several hundred bucks per workstation if I get one with AMD instead of Intel.

#28     Jan 31, 2006
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

I think he mean the third combo. I don't think you can because it will check to make sure the hardware is authorized for the software before it start installing

#29     Jan 31, 2006
  10. Banjo

Banjo