Looking for better trading tools!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SHORTY, Mar 9, 2002.

1. wild

wild

"eSignal Equities" - $ 79/month (Annual Pre-Paid Subscription Rate):

1. ... unlimited number of symbols, viewíng 50 at a time ...

2. ... Level II $ 10/month ...

regards

wild

#11     Mar 15, 2002
  2. Try RealTick. Reliable, very flexible charts with all time frames and many studies, configurable for all kinds of tables, Levell II, gives you all stocks and futures (sign up for CME), you can add a news package which is a plus.

You can use for just data or data and execution.

I use TC2000 for EOD and I use FibonacciTrader RT which is very nice and does the fib zone work for you.

I don't have intraday scanner

#12     Mar 15, 2002
  3. klev

klev

SHORTY, I'm using stockwatchpro. It has real time scanner for unlimited number of symbols (can scan EOD as well), formula language, fib retracements, very flexible charts, backtesting. The look-and-feel is the same as in Qcharts plus they have some really neat stuff.

You can plot 1, 3, 5 minute stochastic on the same chart - saves lots of space. another cool feature - color candles - they draw in different colors based on RSI value. I especially like custom formulas as scanner columns. Their website is http://www.crontech.com

#13     Mar 15, 2002
  4. SHORTY

SHORTY

I knew this group would come through. I'll take a look at your recommendations. Keep up the good work!

Good Luck and Big Profits! :)

#14     Mar 16, 2002
  5. Shorty, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Like many, I started with Datek and added IB to do the trades. Thing is, I love Streamer because I've been looking at it for years. The L2 is ony 10$ a month and I also use the last sale to watch prices. Also, Datek makes for a good backup and, I think, might be cheaper for that occasional play where you buy thousands of shares of a cheap stock.

My dilemna is I'm only going to have two screens (hooked to one computer) but I want one of the charting programs you are looking for. Datek's gizmos are a space hog and you have to have IB somewhere so I'm wondering what current or former Datek users who might read this graduated to for charting/news, etc.

Geo.

PS: I am in rural area with no broadband. Looked into satellite but it was expensive. One thought I had, which I know Brandon does not recommend in his hardware study, is adding a second computer/ISP. This might be the answer to my own question above.

#15     Mar 16, 2002
  6. Jaba122

Jaba122

I'm shure and hope somebody will come up with better ideas but, when I was with Datek I used QuoteTracker for charting using Datek's datafeed. Not a totally pro solution, but if you are on a tight budget...

News, well, getting them on time is not a problem, you can even get hundreds of them per minute. However I would suspect that you will need a news *filtering* service. That one would alert you if there's news with a keyword or a group of keywords you are looking for. Like "FDA Approval" " Merger" "Phase III", etc... Or news on a particular subject like earnings. Two services come up in my mind: www.newsalert.com they will send you an email if tehre's news that matches your interests, or www.newsware.com (paid) they come with an app that alerts you realtime.

EOD Scanning: you might want to check www.bigeasyinvestor.com Again they have an app you program, RSI, ROC, Stochastics, S/R, etc... it's a paid service though...

Real time scanning: custom formula programmable, and cheap? hmmm, tough one.I know myTrack has one (limited programmability, terrible interface, and you have to be subscribed to the feed, but it works), RealTick has a nice package (costly). If you are simply looking for stocks that are trading at high/low, or 52week high/low, you might consider getting Scottrader's free data feed. They have market movers for NYSE, Naz, AMEX there, pretty nice feature, shows you a scrolling list of what's hitting new lows/highs, and 52 week lo/hi. Sorry no more ideas here... anybody?

All this stuff in a single package? Absolutely. There are many packages out there. I'm using Investor RT (www.linnsoft.com) for that, it's a professional tool, so it costs a little. I'm not shure if QCharts, Quicken, InterQuote etc... are what you are looking for.

ok, tried to help, fwiw. Best of luck to you.

Jaba

P.S.
    Wouldn't wealth-lab have what you are looking for? Just an idea...

#16     Mar 16, 2002
  7. Phreedm

Phreedm

Shorty, like you I trade part time and I am still very much in the learning curve. Currently I use MyTrack www.MyTrack.com as my broker. I believe their execution speed is very good.
    However, their scanning is a bit limited and the screen layout could be improved a bit. They also have scrolling realtime news.
    For charting I use SierraCharts. www.SierraCharts Their data feed is connected to MyTrack. I have checked out several (low cost) charting services and like SC the best. SC also has the ability to write your own scanning formulas but only scans the stocks you have in the watch list. SC's customer service is second to none
    Realtime subscriptions for MyTrack start at $20.00 per month and for SC its another $25.00.
    For other scanning I use Silicone Investors and PCQuote.
    I read a post by Don Bright a few weeks ago where he stated that most successful traders he knew followed a few stocks.
    Sounds like a much simpler plan then scanning the market every evening.
    Hope the info helps some.

#17     Mar 17, 2002
  8. hans130

hans130

www.pointdirex.com

They have cheap commissions (.0075 cents per share).

Intra-Day real time charts.

Radar- Stock scans with your own parameters. ex. (by price range, by exchange, by volume, by net change) all real-time

Extremes - Intraday net up and down, intraday 15 min up and down, intraday breaking highs and lows, intraday percentage up and down, highest volume. all real-time

Direct Access - Ecn, Soes and Snet.

Streamer

Hans

#18     Mar 17, 2002