Looking for better trading tools!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SHORTY, Mar 9, 2002.

1. SHORTY

SHORTY

I need some assistance from the more experienced traders about charting software and a few other items. I've assembled a group of services that I use daily, but feel that there must be better options or more complete services out there. My current set-up is:

Brokers:

Datek - Used for Streamer and Level II
    IB - Trade execution

Charting:

Prophet Charts (Very nice charts allow me to draw trendlines, S/R, Zoom, etc. Just very unreliable, have to restart several times a day)

News:

Prophet, Yahoo

Scanning:

Stock Charts (Used for end of day. As a subscriber, I can program my own scans, however, their pull-down programming screen leaves a lot to be desired. Still some scans that I want that can't be programmed from here.)

Now, for the questions:

1) Are there real time charting services that offer the chart quality and flexibility of Prophet charts, but are more reliable?

2) Is there scanning software that would permit me to scan "ALL" stocks (not just a basket) EOD like Stock Charts and provide a better programming language?

3) Desperately looking for real time scans, who do you recommend? (Again would prefer not simply a scan of predefined stocks)

4) Can a single package offer what I am looking for?

Notes:

Cost is a consideration since I don't trade full time. (Rules out RealTick)

I'm limited to a dial up connection due to my location (presently looking for a suitable satellite feed)

Thanks for your help!

Good Luck and Big Profits!:)

2. SHORTY

SHORTY

Would really like Fib retracement capability on the charts.

Thanks

3. Shorty, here's my take on your questions:

1) Are there real time charting services that offer the chart quality and flexibility of Prophet charts, but are more reliable?

Quicken Quotes Live has worked great for me at a cost of $65 per month including options chains and level 2. No symbol limits and I can use as many charts as I want.

2) Is there scanning software that would permit me to scan "ALL" stocks (not just a basket) EOD like Stock Charts and provide a better programming language?

IMHO TC2000 is the only choice, at about $30 per month you can scan over 9000 stocks in just about any conceivable way.

3) Desperately looking for real time scans, who do you recommend? (Again would prefer not simply a scan of predefined stocks)

I realize you're trying to do this inexpensively, but Pristine just announced their real time scanner known as ESP. I've used the beta for a couple of months and it's incredible. I believe they're offering a free trial. Cost ranges from $40 to $80 per month.

4) Can a single package offer what I am looking for?

I love to find the cheapest way to do anything and have it work right. I have yet to find a better combination than IB and QQL. I trade relatively small lots but multiple time frames: day trades, swing, medium term. If someone has a better combo, please tell me, I'd love to save even more.

One last note, satellite can be a real problem. Even though the speed is fine, there is a problem with latency (time it takes for the signal to bounce off the satellite and back to you). If you're day trading it could be a real problem. I can't imagine doing this without broadband and watching more than a very few stocks.

Good Luck!

4. Gann

Gann

Hi Shorty,

Why not have a look at www.2hedge.com which is a new concept for trading.
    Result looks not to bad.

Regards,
    Gann.

5. wild

wild

6. Biomech

Biomech

I'll second the Quicken Quotes Live recommendation. I have been using it for a month or so and I really like it. I am very new to trading so take this with a grain of salt. It can do a lot of what you are looking for (not the scanning unfortunately).

There isn't technically a free trial, but you can sign up for it and if you notify them that you want to cancel within 14 days then they will cancel your account and not charge you a penny. So basically a free 14 day trial.

7. tuna

tuna

Shorty,take a look at Nextrend,I wanted to change to a monthly plan instead of yearly and esignal who i was with priced themselves out of business. $180 compared to $89.
    Had this nextrend for a week.the charts could do with some more software work done on them but overall i'm quite happy with the program..For value for money it walks all over esignal.
    Has a real time scanner in there which i haven't got my head into yet.Still working the program out but it looks ok...seems to be one of those ones that grow on you....Worth a look anyway

http://www.nextrend.com/analysis/content/SvcLvls.asp

8. wild

wild

eSignal equities costs $ 99.00/month or $ 79.00/month in the prepaid version ... incl. the advanced charting - www.esignal.com/beta

regards

wild

9. tuna

tuna

Esignal... monthly $99
    + level2 $60(50+10)
    +extra symbols $25 (or you only get 50 to use TOTAL)
    =$184

Nextrend.. monthly $79
    +level2 $10
    =$89

10. trdrmac

trdrmac

Quicken Quotes Live works really well for me. I also started using tc2000 a month or two back and I love it. For news I will give you just one www.zacks.com which will create a watch list and email you any earnings estimates and broker rating changes each night on each stock in the watch list. There are of course other I use, but I think this is pretty cool. Finally, www.siliconinvestor.com has some of the best FREE delayed screening stuff I have ever found.

Have a nice weekend.

#10     Mar 15, 2002