Looking for an inexpensive stock chart service

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Happy Hopping, Oct 31, 2006.

1. scottrades platform always went down when things got going "high volume" it would have to spasm....good volume warner.....lol.....but you get screwed on fills.....options.....and you could take advantage of their stupid software and if you were kicking ass in the markets that day.....you could trade way past your true leverage.....why do you trade otc stocks there....mining stocks.........is it the pricing strategy of 7 dollars no matter how many shares you buy of a 1.50 stock? and are a lot of mining stocks under 5.00....don`t play those for some reason......but after some of these efut/others followers maybe i should at least know what`s going on with these lower float plays.

i got screwed playing otc bb stock so i have stayed away.....not even sure some of those are even legitmate companies....more like scams right from the start.

#21     Nov 25, 2006
  2. I just downloaded QuoteTracker, this is a very good software. I don't understand that it can be free.

Anyhoo, I have a few questions:

1) is there a web site or a manual that walk me thru to a step by step guide to set up this software?

2) do you have to login to your own trading acct. in order to get steaming quote? If not, where do the data come from?

3) do i have to create a trading acct. to use this software? As my brokerage firm is not on the pull down menu.

4) If I register, I'll get a code to activate my software. What happens if I terminate my registration some time after? How do they stop me to continue to use the software?

5) For those already registered, does their chart comes with the option of to generate:

1 mth. chart
    Year To Date Chart
    1 Year, 2 Year, 5 Year Chart
    3 days Chart?

6) do I have to use CandleStick Chart? Is that the only option to display the intraday graph? As I like OHLC chart.

#22     Dec 7, 2006
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57

I just downloaded QuoteTracker, this is a very good software. I don't understand that it can be free.

Anyhoo, I have a few questions:

1) is there a web site or a manual that walk me thru to a step by step guide to set up this software?

They do have a Web Site ( www.quotetracker.com )

2) do you have to login to your own trading acct. in order to get steaming quote? If not, where do the data come from?

I am using Scottrade to do my actual trading with and that is where my streaming data comes from.

3) do i have to create a trading acct. to use this software? As my brokerage firm is not on the pull down menu.

No. However, you can not trade from it if your broker is not listed.
    I am using it for the News and Charts and Watch Lists I created.

4) If I register, I'll get a code to activate my software. What happens if I terminate my registration some time after? How do they stop me to continue to use the software?

Can't really answer this one completely. Paying for it gets rid of the ads, gets longer intraday charts and I think it gets longer historical charts. For the longer than 6 months historical charts I use the Prophet Charts ( in the Quote Tracker already )

5) For those already registered, does their chart comes with the option of to generate:

1 mth. chart ( Registered or not 1 mnth, 2, 3 & 6 ( titled historical ))
    Year To Date Chart ( Using Phrophet Charts )
    1 Year, 2 Year, 5 Year Chart ( Using Phrophet Charts )
    3 days Chart? ( 2 days not registered, I do not know about registered )

6) do I have to use CandleStick Chart? Is that the only option to display the intraday graph? As I like OHLC chart.

No, that is one thing I like so much about this software, it is extremely customizable.

Most of the settings are obtained by clicking on the "Options" then "Edit Preferences".
    This is the place to start. You tell it where to get the News, Streaming Data, Etc. and the chart initial settings, etc. Charts Settings on the Chart Tab and many more settings on the Misc Tab.

After you do this, when you double click on a symbol in the list an Intraday Chart Pops up. From there, you can right click your mouse and have many things to choose from and adjust to the way you want to see them.

I actually log into it to get the data.
    I do still have to log into my account at Scottrade using Scottrade software to trade.

Lat and not least, The Help section of the program is very good. Skim around in it for awhile and it will probably answer most of your questions.
    If not, send an email to support. They are very good and extremely fast answering questions, Registered or Not.

I am sure there are more knowledgable people out there than me, I have only been using this for 11 days now and I learn something every day or 2.

#23     Dec 7, 2006
  4. Tums

Tums

5. Jim:

First of all, thanks very much for your reply, your info. is most useful. I fine tone the software, I got most of the setting all configured. I do have a few fine tone questions:

1) Does Quotetracker able to display commodities:
    :
    Crude Oil, Gasoline etc.

So far, the only place that can display commodities is INO.com, and their graph really sucks.

2) I can't display the 1 day intraday chart, it simply said "Not enough data collected", could this be a pay user feature?

3) Does this software able to display real time steaming quote? If so, am I correct to assume that it's getting the data from my trading acct.? And all I need to do is to tell the software the firm and the password?

#25     Dec 12, 2006
  6. jimmie57

jimmie57

First of all, thanks very much for your reply, your info. is most useful. I fine tone the software, I got most of the setting all configured. I do have a few fine tone questions:

1) Does Quotetracker able to display commodities:
    :
    Crude Oil, Gasoline etc.

So far, the only place that can display commodities is INO.com, and their graph really sucks.

I do not know, I only trade stocks.

2) I can't display the 1 day intraday chart, it simply said "Not enough data collected", could this be a pay user feature?

NO, not a pay feature. Look at the top of the screen and see if there is a small yellow message at that says "Backfilling". It must load the initial data before it will show. If you are using "Dial Up" connection, the first time might be slow.

3) Does this software able to display real time steaming quote? If so, am I correct to assume that it's getting the data from my trading acct.? And all I need to do is to tell the software the firm and the password?

There are several companies that feed the data to the software for the live Intraday Charts. You do have to tell it where it is coming from and YES you do log into your account to get the data.
    The "Historical " Charts are live also. They go up to 6 months without you registering.
    PS: You also must set this up for the NEWS that will be sent to you. It is very easy, just choose from the list in the software.

#26     Dec 12, 2006
  7. I know what the problem is, and I kind of fix it, but I don't know for how long. This is what happens:

The Intraday chart data is NOT from the same source as Historial chart, under Data Sources/Proxy, the BackFill tab is for intraday chart, and the Hist. Backfill tab is for historial charts.

With historial Chart, I picked Yahoo Finance, but w/ Backfill (for intraday) this stupid software does not support yahoo finance. The truth is, yahoo finance has intraday delay chart and real time chart.

But if you look at the pull down menu under the Backfill tab, there is only a no. of firms, a short list, compares to the full list of firms that this very same software supported under the Quotes Tab. For reasons that I can't imagine why.

So for now, I keyed in a Scotttrade Backfill (free registration). What I don't know is, how long can Scotttrade allow me to have the free registration acct. (it's not the application acct., it's the free demo acct.) although all I am getting is 20 min. delay quote anyway, and many sites offer them for free.

Now that I can view the intraday chart:, I notice the following on the intraday chart:

1) I cannot view minutes by minutes all the time, during the moring, it shows a much wider data interval (see screeshot) vs. the afternoon.

2) Don't know what is wrong with the volume display

3) Can you type out your Chart TYpe and Setting for Intraday over here so everyone can share, I bet there is something wrong with mine

click link for graph

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/1336/tempqz1.jpg

#27     Dec 14, 2006
  8. jimmie57

jimmie57

Who do you use for trading ? Whoever that is, you should get your live data from them.

If they are not in the list and you do not want to pay anyone, I believe that all you can get is delayed information. Even Yahoo charges per month for live straming data.

Open an account with TDAmeritrade and all will be at your fingertips and free ( the same as if you were paying for the subscription to the Quote Tracker and the Streaming live data from TDAmeritrade ).

Good luck.

#28     Dec 14, 2006
  9. I have a paid trading acct. w/ TD waterhouse.but the software does not have TD waterhouse as one of the listing under the BackFill Tab.

It does have it under the Quote Tab, so I don't know what good does it do. I suppose the only thing to hope for is the next version upgrade includes the more popular listed trade frim currently on the Quote Tab, to be available on the BackFill Tabs.

#29     Dec 15, 2006
  10. For those uses Quote Tracker, I notice the following problems:

1) there doesn't seem to be any historial chart available for Dow, Nasdaq or S&P500. The software forces you to use prophet chart. But Prophet does not support Fibonacci Retracement. Also, it's seems Prophet doesn't support change of background color

2) 5 Day Historial chart contains 5 data points. In other words, it does not draw the entire up/downs of each day (all those data points), for those 5 days.

3) 1 Day Intra day chart does not show every minutes, somehow it misses some data points depends on which minute it is. Alternatively, Prophet charts shows every minute but Prophet chart does not show the price of any of those minutes.

4) quite often, for S&P500 or Nasdaq, Prophet chart said "No data is available for ^ixic" but no option is available to draw Nasdaq or S&P vis historial chart.

5) Prophet charts does not save your setting, each time it loads up, it defaults to EMA 22 and Price channels.

#30     Dec 17, 2006